Spatchcock chicken

rockinshelby

Things have been a little quiet in the gallery lately. I figured I'd better post some pics of my recent cooks to get things moving. I have now cooked something on my BPS drum every weekend for the past 10 weeks. We have guests coming next Saturday and they are already asking what I will be smoking.

These are a few pics of some Spatchcock chickens that I did a couple of weeks ago. I marinated them overnight in an asian poultry brine. Dusted them with a bit of Sweet Money and Little Louie's w/Pepper. I didn't keep a record of cook temp or time but I think it was around 275 deg. I started them on the outside of the drum and moved them to the middle near the end to crisp up the skin. Pulled at 185 deg internal temp.

They were super tender and had a great smokey flavour. The only thing that I would change is a little less time in the brine, or none at all. The chicken picked up a lot of the salt from the brine.

DSC05540_zps96848132.jpg

DSC05542_zps6c27f14d.jpg

DSC05546_zps0750eb66.jpg

DSC05547_zpsbae2a1e7.jpg

Keep on smokin'....

Cheers, Jeff.

Big Poppa

Administrator
beautiful 185 is super well done you can actually safely pull at anything over 160 find your spot...dont be afraid of rinsing off your brine! Thanks for kicking this place back alive!

rockinshelby

Thanks. I get nervous about undercooking chicken. Too much bad press... I do have lots of room for improvement. I will take your advice and pull it a bit sooner next time. I think four hours maximum in this brine will be lots.

rockinshelby

Like I said, on this cook I didn't keep a record of my cook. I thought a bit more about it. I wouldn't have let it go all the way to 185... I have since been doing a better job of documenting my cooks. I have a couple more to post tomorrow. Cheers.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hey RockinSHelby I only mean to give constructive advice Your cooks look great...if you dont want me to say anything Im good with that too...Just tryin to help a fellow drum smoker!

rockinshelby

Your advice is greatly appreciated. I look forward to it. You're the master, we are your students. I love it. I can take constructive criticism, so don't pull any punches. The feedback is a huge part of why I partcipate on this forum.

Top Bottom