Pellets in Drums?

Cmsmith225

It has been kind of quiet in here the past couple of days. So I figured I would ask a couple of questions that I have been thinking about lately. I haven't finished my drum as of yet but its in the process of completion. So in the meantime I am gathering some of the other essential supplies.

I have noticed that almost all of you seem to put in a couple of chunks of whatever flavor of wood that goes with that particular smoke. Is that wood dry or has it been soaked in water?

Do any of you use pellets as opposed to wood chunks? Is there any benefit or drawback to making a foil packet with pellets and using that instead?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chad

MrAdam

Lots of people use chunks, lots of people use pellets. I can't find good oak chunks here so I use pellets or chips. I tightly wrap the smoke medium in tinfoil with one small hole at the top. Good enough for plenty of smoke.

Soaking the wood is actually a bad idea, since that water has to evaporate before the wood will smoke. All soaking your wood does is steam your meat. Kinda gross unless you're making pastrami... but that's another story.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
Soaking helps with chips, not so much with chunks. No problem using pellets. I use them when I'm competing with my drum in the weekend contest on PelletSmoking.com but I absolutely prefer chunks of wood like white and red oak, apple, pecan, hickory. I buy my wood chunks from Fruita on the www.

Cmsmith225

Thanks for replies. So, no on the soaking wood chunks.

There is a wood supplier in SLC, UT that I drive by all of the time that has a lot of different varieties. I'll have to give both pellets and chunks a try and see what works better for me.

scooter

Staff member
You're probably right. Hardwood just doesn't allow much penetration of water in the time most folks soak for.

rockinshelby

I usually use chunks of hardwood for my cooks but once in a while I will use pellets. For example, this past weekend I did two beauty tri-tips and used a couple of handfuls of BBQ Delight oak pellets. Just throw in a handful, right on the fire. No foil packs etc... The only problem is that I forgot to take pics! BP has a contest going on the Pellet Smoking forum. If you use pellets and take pics you earn gift certificates for BPS products.

Top Bottom