Additional cooking levels on my UDS?

Bigwill

Posted this in another room, but wanted to get as much input as possible.

I'm interested in adding a second smoking grate (and maybe even a third, if I top it with a Weber kettle lid) to my drum smoker.

Any advice on where to put my grate levels?

Should I add a second thermometer? Where should I put the thermometer(s)?

Thanks for the input.

Salmonsmoker

Bigwill,
I ordered a second grate when I ordered my BP kit. When I need to use it I place it on the raised basket U-bolts. I think there's enough grate tip-in room to have supports half way between the upper U-bolts and the top grate supports also. If your going to put in extra thermos you'd want them at the grate levels. You'll want to take center temps. to find the temp. differential between the center and the outer edge too.

Bigwill

Bigwill,
I ordered a second grate when I ordered my BP kit. When I need to use it I place it on the raised basket U-bolts. I think there's enough grate tip-in room to have supports half way between the upper U-bolts and the top grate supports also. If your going to put in extra thermos you'd want them at the grate levels. You'll want to take center temps. to find the temp. differential between the center and the outer edge too.
Thanks for the info, SS.

I had considered using the upper U-bolts, but was worried that that might be *too close* to the heat source.

Salmonsmoker

Thanks for the info, SS.

I had considered using the upper U-bolts, but was worried that that might be *too close* to the heat source.

It can be if you lose control of the fire. I did the Easter ham at that level because it was too high for the lid on the upper brackets. I had my ET732 temp probe clipped to the grate so I could monitor the actual temp. right there. It worked well and got the job done.

T G

I have two grates in mine, without extending the lid or using a dome. I don't remember the exact heights, but I will get measurements and post them up. I ended up with spots for 3 grates, but the lowest one is actually used for a deflector pan, otherwise I would torch whatever is on the bottom rack. It works great, I have cooked 3 racks of ribs on the second grate, as well as countless butts so far. It cooks just as great as the top rack with very little temp difference between the two.

T G

These measurements are from the bottom of the drum, centerline of each hole.

3" to intake

15-3/8" to the first grate

20-7/8" to the second grate

28-7/8" to the third grate

drum is 34" tall

the first grate is for a diffuser rack. That's necessary to keep from torching the food on that bottom rack. I have a 16" pizza plate on that bottom rack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom