Sparky, You made ribs yet on Ursula?

sparky

2 chucks of apple. i think that i like the flavor that comes off of pellets more. it was a very strong tasting rib.

drumtime078.jpg

they were ok. i will try a packet of pellets next time. i made a tri yesterday w/ apple chucks too. way to much smoke flavor. my daughter wouldn't even eat it after the 1st bite. i can tell it is very easy to over smoke food w/ a drum.

drumtime097.jpg

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK Spark...What you are doing now is actually smoking food. THe pellets are great but the real art and skill lie in the fire. That is also where you will get the best profile...it isnt automatic...its a journey.

My advice from here is to cook the tri's with no wood chunks at all....then add a tiny chunk with the cook after. You now know that with the apple you have that you cannot go near two chunks...you can always add....same with the ribs.

Different wood acts differently too.

The drum should be no different that Hazel just better smoke....Have you cooked with those sized chucks with Hazel? You can oversmoke on that too....

Dont give up my friend.

sparky

oh, i not even close to giving up. i'm having fun. the flavor of the chicken i did was killer. i never used wood w/ Hazel. i just used the cast iron pot filled w/ pellets. i will try another tri w/ out the wood. i also want to try the ribs over again w/ out wood also. i do noticed that lump burns differently than kingsford.

Big Poppa

Administrator
OH yeah the charoal is a big difference in burn, ash, flavor, and temp. I like the kings ford comp...I don tuse the regular stuff. The comp is supposed to be lump compressed to briquette

also not all lump is created equal...check out the charcoal site www.nakedwhiz.com a site just for charcoal...

Top Bottom