Newb here. Stupid question alert.

Bigwill

Hi, guys.

I've never smoked anything before. I love grilling, but haven't ever taken the dive to smoking.

That's all about to change.

I've been reading up on UDS's, and am intrigued. Today, I bought a new unlined 55 gallon drum. And I'll be ordering a BPS drum conversion kit shortly.

My first question concerns the surface temperature of the drum.

I will be smoking on my deck. Do I need to raise the drum off the ground (legs/caster wheels)? If I don't raise it off, will it be hot on the under-side of the drum? Is there any concern about damaging the wood of the deck? (Even more important, any concern for fire???)

Thanks for any input.

Will

Salmonsmoker

Yes you do need to raise it off the deck. Setting the drum on 3 bricks should give enough clearance for ample air flow. I bought a barrel dolly for my drum, and then cut a round piece of 1/2" Hardibacker, put it in the barrel dolly, then set the barrel on top of that. It only gets warm, even on long cooks. Also with the dolly you can wheel it around wherever you want.

sheepdad

I wouldn't go with the drum directly on the deck either. They sell those grill mats that would protect it from heat and grease but i think a dolly or bricks would be best... or even 3 or 4 of those terra cotta flower pot legs would do the trick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
I have all my cookers on my redwood deck. I use these concrete mats under each of the charcoal cookers. They have some insulating qualities. Then on top of the mat I use a few pavers under one of my drums. The other has a dolly under it. The mats are around $35 and the pavers are like $1/each from Lowes or Home Depot

095247417001.jpg

meaghejrb

I mounted some 2" steel casters on the bottom of mine. Got em for like $4 a piece at lowe's. Worked like a champ for me. You might try something a little bit bigger to keep it away from the wood.

Top Bottom