OK, More drum questions

vahran

Greetings,
I was looking at smokers for my wife ( who just loves to BBQ and has recently started getting into smoking) and found Big Poppa's smoker kit. After looking at the destructions and video, I figured that this might be a fun project for me and a great smoker for her.

So, the kit is on the way and I've found a food quality drum here in Minnesota that's being delivered sometime in the next week. My first thought was to get the drum sand blasted inside and out, but alas, living in a small town, nobody does sand blasting in town and the nearest guy who does is 1/2 hour away and charges 60.00 hour. Yikes!!! so, I'm looking for idea's as to how to remove the paint on the outside, and the liner on the inside. I really don't want to use chemicals if it can be helped. Can it be burnt off or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Next is paint... assuming that I do nothing to the inside of the drum once the liner has been removed, can anyone recommend someone who has hi-temp paint that comes in multiple colors for the outside? I Know my wife loves different shades of blue, and of course, purple, red and yellow. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. And, forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere and I just missed it.

Many thanks in advance,

Vahran

MrAdam

Put a bunch of wood in the drum and light a bonfire. It will take care of the paint on the outside and burn the rust proof coating off the inside of the drum.

Use either barbecue paint or engine block paint for the outside of the drum.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
It shouldn't take a whole hour to sandblast. Still think it's worth it to have it all done and clean inside and out by sandblasting.

vahran

Yeah, I agree, I figured about 1/2 hour do to the work. But, the way this guy talked over the phone, he sounded like it take an hour or 2 to do the work. I guess my point is, I'm not paying some yahoo more money to sandblast it than what I paid for the kit and drum combined. I'll keep looking around for someone to sandblast it at a reasonable price or I'll follow MrAdam's advice and burn it.

sheepdad

It cost me $40 to get the inside sandblasted and took 20min for the guy to do it.
I agree that having the inside blasted instead of doing a burn is well worth it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Cmsmith225

I would keep calling around. Someone's got to do it on the side. I have heard of headstone makers are a good place to look.

The guy that sandblasted mine actually sold the media for companies that do large scale sandblasting. He just takes on small projects on the side.

Even at $60 bucks it may be worth it to have it blasted. That red liner is nasty stuff.

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

Last edited:

sheepdad

Yep, i
Got mine done at a cemetery monument place. They offered to engrave a RIP on it for free but I passed on the offer. :p
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

meaghejrb

The burn works but it's a lot of work. Luckily I have a teenage son to help but if you can get it blasted, I would highly recommend it. I would pay $50 bucks in a heartbeat. More than that would require a little more thinking. High-temp paint from lowe's at $4 a can worked great for the outside.

Top Bottom