Pulled pork advice for the rookie...

rockinshelby

This weekend will mark my first attempt at pulled pork on the drum. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I intend to buy the butts at Costco and pretty much follow BP's video. I will get the cryovac package and cook both butts, inject, rub, 275* for 3 hours, foil and juice, another 3 hours, rest for awhile, etc... Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to your comments!!
Cheers, Jeff.

wneill20

Give it plenty of time to rest in the foil covered with a towel after it hits 195 maybe and hour or two. If you watch BP video you good to go.

scooter

Staff member
You can't go wrong with BP's pork recipe. BP took 1st in pork a couple weekends ago in Santa Anita in a very, very strong field of competitors!! BP knows pork.

rockinshelby

What do you think about injecting and rubbing them and letting them rest overnight? That way I can get up real early, start the drum and not have to worry about the prep. If I get them on the drum by 7:00 am I'll feel comfortable that it will be ready to serve by dinner time.

southga

I inject & rub the night before most of the time. Take the meat out of the fridge & let it start to get the chill off before you go start your fire. Give it another dusting of rub before putting it on the smoker.

scooter

Staff member
As others have said, yes, you can inject the night before and rub in the morning or both at night and reapply rub in the morning then cook. Just remember, injections are intensely sweet and salty (as are some rubs) and if injected and/or left in contact with the meat for too long and you'll end up with slightly cured meat which will have taste and texture approaching that of ham.

Top Bottom