New drum build WIP

Cmsmith225

Figured I would try and document this build and answer some of the questions that I had prior to the build. I am also going to keep a tally on pricing just FYI for new build people interested. If that's not cool, I am happy to remove.

Picked up a food grade drum from the online classified ads. Looks like it used to have berry juice in it. $15

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363992605.925129.jpg

Red liner on the inside.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363992631.910585.jpg

Red liner needs to go. I called around to sandblasting companies. Several of them turned me down. I think mostly its because its only one barrel and they didn't want to blast the inside. After talking to a few people they referred me to a company that sandblasts on the side. Finally dropped it off to be sandblasted last Friday.

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

Cmsmith225

I was a little worried about rust quickly forming on the bare metal so I decided to skip the auto paint from the Internet and just grabbed some hi temp grill paint from the big box ($6.28 per can). I went with the ultra version since it claimed to be a semi-gloss. We will see how that translates onto the sandblasted surface after it dries.

Here's the drum with two coats of paint. (1 can each coat). I am going to get all the holes drilled then spray on a final coat. I am thinking about sanding it with some fine grit sandpaper to smooth everything out. I may order a hi temp clear off the Internet. Did anyone use a clear on their build?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363994478.101969.jpg

Now I just need to order up my bps kit. Then I can get drilling.

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

scooter

Staff member
Thank you for posting your build! It's exactly why DS.com was started!
That $35 sandblast fee was money well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

sheepdad

So far so good. That semi gloss gave it a little sparkle. Curious how the clear turns out if you decide to do it. Thanks for the pics :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom