New to uds

southga

I cooked for several years on a Chargriller offset and for several years before that on a Brinkman offset. I cooked a lot of very good Que on them, but it was a lot of work and I burnt a ton of charcoal. The first few times cooking on your drum, you will be wondering what to do. No constant fiddling with the vents to control temps. No feeding the beast every couple of hours to maintain temp. Then you will wonder about how long its going to take you burn all the charcoal you stocked up on when it was on sale. ;);) Bottom line -- you will tell a HUGE difference between cooking on a drum & cooking on a cheap offset. One word of caution, monitor your food close the first few times. I overcooked the H3ll out of some ribs the first time on my drum. The temps stayed so stable & the ribs cooked faster. I should have pulled them about 30-45 mins sooner. The next thing you will find yourself doing is wondering why you didn't go to a drum sooner.:cool:

Last edited:

sheepdad

Welcome Beach bum, good to have ya onboard. Your gonna love your BPS EDS. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Like southga said..you'll be wondering why you didn't get a drum sooner. lookin forward to pics of your build and first cook.

deihardt8fan

Welcome Beach Bum! I filled my charcoal basket, cooked 2 racks of baby backs and still have enough coals left to do another cook. Not to mention the flavor of meats you can turn out on the drum. You'll be amazed!!!

scooter

Staff member
Let me put it another way, my drums are racking up an impressive list of things that are "the best I've ever BBQ'd" :)

Salmonsmoker

Welcome Beach bum! If you're wondering about the drum's versatility...I even bake on mine.

Apple crisp
012-1.jpg

scooter

Staff member
I use Kingsford blue bag for low & slow and lump for high heat grilling. I use chunks of wood mostly. Apple for anything with wings, red oak and pecan for beef, pecan and/or sometimes apple for pork ribs and butt

Top Bottom