Curing and smoking ham

MrAdam

Thinking of doing a ham for my wife's family Easter dinner.

Does anybody have any tips or recipes for this? Cowgirl I'm looking at you! ;)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

MrAdam

Guess I'll have to be my own guinea pig for this one. I'll post pictures and I'll try to piece together a recipe.

MrAdam

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to making the best ham I've ever had!

MrAdam

Here's the finished product fresh outta the drum! It was delicious!

20130331_161044_zpsed6ca4cd.jpg

MrAdam

Here's what I did:

Bought a 20 lb pork leg roast, and trimmed all the fat off.

Brine was brown sugar, pickling spice, salt and Prague powder. Boiled it for a while to dissolve all the salt.

Injected the leg with brine to get it all the way to the bone, then let it sit in the brine for 10 days. I used a 5 gallon Cambro pail with lid to ensure food grade plastic.

The morning of smoking I let the ham soak in just plain tap water for 3 hours to remove some of the salt.

Smoker set for 275, I used applewood to smoke. Put it on at 11 am, and it was ready by 4. Glaze was honey, mustard, and orange juice.

It was some of the best ham I've ever had!

Cmsmith225

Injected the leg with brine to get it all the way to the bone, then let it sit in the brine for 10 days.

I'm impressed with the pre-planning! Thanks for sharing your process. I've got a lot to learn.

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

MrAdam

It takes time for the sodium nitrite to cure the meat. It doesn't take much. I had 8 tbsp of Prague powder in about 2.5 gallons of water. Prague powder #1 is 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite.

MrAdam

Putting the cure together took about 20 minutes, injecting the cure in the leg roast about another 10, I let it cure for 10 days, and then smoking it took about 5 hours to bring it up to 150.

Top Bottom