Agave nectar vs. honey

deihardt8fan

Saw some agave nectar @ my local grocery store today. Any similarities to honey? Is one sweeter than the other? I used honey,brown sugar and butter today when I wrapped my ribs. Think i remember seeing Harry Su use agave nectar or maybe it was somebody else. Anybody here ever tried the agave? How did you like it? Let me know what you think!

scooter

Staff member
I switched to agave nectar a while ago. I think it's sweeter and more stable than honey meaning it will last longer on the shelf without get thick like honey does.

Big Poppa

Administrator
this is a paper or plastic...I dont like agave...its taste...Honey is a broad term....I look for local honey and taste it..some is really pungent and some is just fabulous....fall back is clover honey at costco sue bee....Not all honeys are equal...

Scooter did you know that honey is the only food that has no shelf life? 1,000's of years!

rockinshelby

I used it in place of brown sugar on the ribs that I cooked last weekend. I like the stuff. It is very sweet though. I combined blue agave, margarine, honey, maple syrup and a bit of brown sugar and just sort of mopped it on the ribs. I would recommend it as more of a sugar replacement than honey.

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
Scooter did you know that honey is the only food that has no shelf life? 1,000's of years!

I keep having to throw honey out because it gets thick and crystally on my shelf after some time. To get it back I need to microwave it or put it in warm water before dispensing. It happens with all honey I've purchased. If it doesn't last on my shelf for more than months how will it last for 1000's of years?
So far, agave has never done what honey does and pours whenever I need it. I've not had to heat agave up in order to pour it and I've never had to throw it out. Like you said, I prefer the taste of honey, I just prefer the longevity of agave and it's a better sweetener for diabetics like me to use.

MrAdam

I keep having to throw honey out because it gets thick and crystally on my shelf after some time. To get it back I need to microwave it or put it in warm water before dispensing. It happens with all honey I've purchased. If it doesn't last on my shelf for more than months how will it last for 1000's of years?
So far, agave has never done what honey does and pours whenever I need it. I've not had to heat agave up in order to pour it and I've never had to throw it out. Like you said, I prefer the taste of honey, I just prefer the longevity of agave and it's a better sweetener for diabetics like me to use.

The honey has not spoiled. You put it hot water and it's back to normal. I always buy local fresh unpasteurized honey. By the way, don't waste your money on organic honey. Bees will pull nectar from whichever flowers they feel like.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
Yes you can put it in warm water when it first starts crystalizing but over time even the warm water stops working and we throw out the old and buy a new bottle.
That's never happened with agave. My current honey bottle has an expiration date on it, my agave syrup doesn't. Just sayin! Honey has a shelf life where agave apparently doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

MrAdam

I usually stick the jar in a pot of boiling water. You're right about warm water not working very well.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I have used both and now just honey. There are all kinds of honey. If your in a whole foods market check out the color of buckwheat honey. I use Tupelo Honey all the time I can get it. Even in my coffee. Tupelo crystallize the least of all honeys and is very sweet

Top Bottom