How much wood?

deihardt8fan

How many wood chunks should i use for a whole basket of charcoal on a long slow cook? Should i
just add chunks at start of cook or would i have to add more as i go? Dont want to add too many and
over smoke my meat, have heard that can be a bad thing!

scooter

Staff member
I like total control over smoke so I add as needed. I replaced the grate that came with the drum with the weber grate that has the ends that flip up allowing access to the charcoal basket below without disturbing the meat. A pair of long reach tongs lets me add/remove wood as needed.

wneill20

I like total control over smoke so I add as needed. I replaced the grate that came with the drum with the weber grate that has the ends that flip up allowing access to the charcoal basket below without disturbing the meat. A pair of long reach tongs lets me add/remove wood as needed.

You are one smart cookie I never thought of that. You have to fast tho or the drum temp will go up

wneill20

I fill the basket half way and put two or three then fill the brisket full and put two or three on the top. That way you will have smoke throughout a long cook.

scooter

Staff member
You are one smart cookie I never thought of that. You have to fast tho or the drum temp will go up

I shut the bottom vents first then lift the lid up just a bit then slide off sideways. Forgot who I read that from on this forum but it works great and my spikes are very small. The guy who originally posted that is the smart cookie! :)

Top Bottom