Mustard's Grill: Hanger Steak with Onion Jam and Watercress Sauce

scooter

Staff member
images

Mustard's Grill at the Southern end of the Napa valley is one of our favorite restaurants. In the past I've highlighted their famous Mongolian Pork Chop with Chinese Style Mustard Sauce in the weekly contest. It's one of the best pork chops I've had if not the best. Last Monday night for my birthday we went to Napa valley to wine taste and stopped at Mustard's Grill for dinner. I had another long time item on their menu, their Hanger Steak with Onion Jam and Watercress Sauce.
It was excellent and I wanted to recreate it at home so I found the recipe in their cookbook (picture above) and put it together.

On top of the steak goes a sweet, rich, caramelized onion jam made with EVOO, onions, sugar, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and red wine. Just slowly simmer it until it turns into a sweet onion jam.
IMG_0514_zpsb25f939e.jpg

The watercress sauce is to dip the steak into. It's not anything I would have thought would go with steak but I found it works perfectly with steak. It's creamy, cool and herby and has a bit of a tang to it. The ingredients are mayo, sour cream, shallots, fresh garlic, fresh watercress, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt & pepper.

The marinade for the steak is one that totally compliments the flavor of the meat. It has fresh garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce, toasted yellow mustard seeds, course grain mustard, Dijon mustard, EVOO, sherry vinegar, salt & pepper.
Here is the steak and marinade in the vacuum tumbler
IMG_0516_zpsb5059151.jpg

Spark up the BPS drum with some cherry pellets for flavor
IMG_0520_zps7c70d79d.jpg

On for a quick sear. I couldn't find hanger steaks but my butcher says it's similar to skirt steak so I got a few skirts and a NY.
IMG_0521_zps9b86ccdd.jpg

The last to come off the grill
IMG_0524_zpsae9d3750.jpg

Done and resting
IMG_0529_zps1096050b.jpg

Plated. The steak gets topped with onion jam with a sprinkling of blue cheese, some of the watercress sauce on the side and some roasted yukon gold potatoes, onions, bell peppers and pasilla peppers.
IMG_0532_zpsf875a994.jpg

IMG_0534_zpscad1b715.jpg

The asian styled marinated steak paired with the sweet, rich onion jam and the cool, creamy, herbiness of the watercress sauce with small bits of blue cheese was an absolute flavorfest in my mouth! So good!

IMG_0535_zps45aad2ba.jpg

MrAdam

Looks great!

If you want hanger steak aka butcher's hangers comes from the short plate. If he has skirt steak he should be able to get hangers, since they are part of the same muscle. Hangers are more tender than skirt.

Best way to get hangers is to just buy the entire short plate, then you get 7 short ribs as well. Win win situation!

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

MrAdam

Scott, can you PM me the recipe for everything? Looks delicious, and I think I'm going to use this recipe in a steak-off I'm having with a few buddies.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom