Dry Ribs

wneill20

Cook some Baby Backs yesterday or at least thats what Sams Club said they were look more like fat Saint Louis to me. Anyway they were dry set the IQ 110 at 225* wrapped at the 2 hour mark for 1 hour removed and glazed them for thirty and they came out dry. Any thoughts
8474229b48998bb5edd2e02defc83bcf_zps4c53bdea.jpg

They had a little pull back and looked great but dry
2551f46b1aae32ed281670b932d155ac_zpse2039f9f.jpg

d0bb761f61d91cc91807957b25e93831_zpsbe8062ae.jpg

Last edited:

rockinshelby

I also did baby backs this past weekend. Got them at Costco. I also did 2 hours at around 225*. No IQ, just one bottom vent hole open about 3/4. When I pulled them to foil I added some ABT's and had the lid off longer than I would have liked. With a big basket of coals the temp spiked to 275* and couldn't get it to come back down much. Foiled one hour, removed from drum and rested while still foiled for about 20 minutes while I seared the ABT's. They came out perfect, not dry at all. When you foiled them, did you put them back on meat side down? I think that really helps to baste them while they steam.

scooter

Staff member
Wes, the timing you specified is the timing I use when cooking at 275 and you were cooking at 225. My guess is they were simply not done yet. The fat had not rendered properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

scooter

Staff member
Also, I stopped using BB's because the loin meat on BB' is much less marbled than the belly meat that is on spares. Spares have more fat which translates into more moisture and more flavor! IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

rockinshelby

I guess the fact that the temp jumped up to 275* when I foiled might have been a good thing. Thanks Scooter.
p.s. I'm still a rookie but I'm learning!

wneill20

Scooter i would agree i like the spares also but the women in charge likes the Baby Backs. They may have been under cook they had plenty of pull back and passed the bend test, they weren't fall of the bone but the meat pull off easily. When i purchase them i thought there was three racks in the package but when i open it i notice that there was only two at a total weight of 8.5 lbs, each rack weigh in at over 4 lbs that is a large rack for Baby Back. The next one i will cook longer and see. Thanks for the input

Top Bottom