Chicken Mole over Arroz Rojo

scooter

Staff member
OK, it simply means chicken with sauce over red rice. Mole (pronounced moe-lay) means "sauce" and is a generic term used for a number of sauces in Mexican cuisine as well as dishes based on these sauces.
The classic mole version is the variety called mole poblano, which is a dark red or brown sauce served over meat. There are probably as many recipes for the classic mole as there are hispanic mothers who cook it. My version came from the hispanic mother of a close friend who swore me to secrecy before secretly slipping me her mothers mole recipe in a back street alley under the cover of darkness. Kidding about the back alley but not about having to swear an oath!
It's a thick, hearty, dark brown sauce that fills the mouth with rich chile flavors and is very well suited to chicken!

Any chicken mole starts here, with the guest of honor! I seasoned this chicken with garlic EVOO, jalapeno seasoned salt and Desert Gold.
IMG_0436_zps7d49025f.jpg

Onto the drum with a chunk of apple and a handful of BBQrs Delight hickory pellets
IMG_0438_zps22aa8d8b.jpg

Time to get the sauce going. Here are most of the players. The onion and garlic are only to flavor the oil used to make the roux. There are 3 main chile powders used. The pic only shows three bags. There are many more like it just off camera. And yes, this sauce has a chocolate element to it like many classic moles.
IMG_0440_zpsba3e719d.jpg

Here's the sauce all put together now we'll simmer it for about an hour.
IMG_0442_zps852b7faa.jpg

The Arroz Rojo (Mexican red rice) gets started, we used brown rice instead of white. This is a simple but tasty recipe which has onion, garlic, chicken broth, tomato paste, serrano chile and fresh cilantro. 30 minutes till go time!
IMG_0446_zps6a92da6e.jpg

Chicken's done! Beautiful color and crispy skin off the drum.
IMG_0447_zpsdb5db3dd.jpg

Plating: I laid down a bed of the Arroz Rojo and placed a leg quarter on top. Then poured the sauce over the chicken and garnished with roasted sesame seeds. Pretty traditional presentation and very simple. With it are some homemade refried black beans and a salad.
IMG_0450_zps2d9509c9.jpg

IMG_0452_zpse99e47fc.jpg

IMG_0451_zps5ace5e9c.jpg

Rich with deep penetrating chile flavors the juicy smoked chicken was very well matched. So delicious! Thanks for looking! Enjoy!

IMG_0470_zps0d3136cf.jpg

MrAdam

Looks great Scott! Mole sauces are awesome, but it can't be a mole without chocolate and chilies!

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

MrAdam

I may have a stockpile of DJ Añejo in my bar. Best. Margaritas. Ever.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom