Tritip and Lobster off the drum

scooter

Staff member
Hey all, you really should consider entering the Pelletsmoking.com weekend contest! They are receptive to drum entries. This cook won 2nd place last weekend. Payout is in BPS bucks! $25 for 1st, $15 for 2nd, $10 for 3rd and $5 for all who don't get a call. Everybody wins! Come over and join in the fun and dazzle them with your drum food and learn new things from the pellet cooks. You'll have to work at it though because the pellet pitmasters on PS.com got game! :)

Tri tip and lobster with shaved brussels sprouts sauted with bacon and shallots, and a baked potato

Used a red oak chunk and pellets for smoke flavor and slow cooked at 275 until 138 internal then pulled and hit it with compound steak butter then rested. After resting threw it over rocket hot coals to quick sear the outside
IMG_0415_zps8d4e8029.jpg

Basted the tails with garlic butter and threw them over hot coals to carmelize the outside
IMG_0417_zps28e34f73.jpg

Tritip is done, final rest period
IMG_0420_zps592a24a7.jpg

Oh yeah!!! So juicy
IMG_0418_zps2f4f32a2.jpg

Tails are done!
IMG_0421_zpse44057d0.jpg

Plated with a nice V. Sattui Off-Dry Riesling

IMG_0429_zpsfa41c9e0.jpg

IMG_0425_zps62811dae.jpg

KristenBPS

Amazing! That is what I want for my bday dinner next weekend...any tips on cooking lobster? I have never smoked it before...drum or MAK?

scooter

Staff member
Either MAK or drum will work. I went with the drum this time. When I flipped the TT over at around 110IT I added the split lobster tails. When the tails hit 130 I pulled them until the TT was done which wasn't long. Melted a cube of butter and sliced up some garlic and added to the butter. I raised the coal basket to the upper position and brushed the tails with the garlic butter then put over the coals to brown them up a bit. Was fantastic. Just a hint of smoke.
Happy birthday Kristen. Mine is this coming Tuesday.

scooter

Staff member
Since I am on the 19 I'm on the borderline. Some horoscopes have me as Pisces, some as Aquarius. Both are water signs which explains my love of the sea, rivers and lakes.

Top Bottom