Little Help

wneill20

Thinking about doing a butterflied chicken on the drum, coal basket up at the top or down on the bottom what temp how long?

scooter

Staff member
Without something to divert some of the fat away from the fire then I go with Jim's suggestion of coal basket down and 325. The hotter you go, the quicker you'll be done and will reduce the amount of vaporized fat the end product will be exposed to. My first chicken (pre diverter) was cooked around 275 and took 2-3 hours. When it was done, the predominant flavor was vaporized fat. Behind that fat flavoring (some call it grill flavor) was the smoke and spices I used but they were in the background where I wanted them to be the dominant flavors with the fat flavor in the background.

If you're interested, here's the thread where I discussed my first drum chicken cook and the diverter that resulted from it.

http://www.drumsmoking.com/drum-smoking-lounge/251-diy-heat-deflector-fat-diverter.html

Bigr314

I just smoked a butterflied chicken last weekend. I brine it for 24 hrs then mixed butter and my rub. Smeared the mixture under the skin. Smoked at 325 for about 1 3/4 hrs. Came out great. chicken1.jpg chicken2.jpg chicken3.jpg Chicken.jpg

Top Bottom