Prime Tri Tip with Johnny Trigg

Big Poppa

Administrator
Big Poppa Smokers produces the west coast classes for Johnny Trigg. He usually comes out a few days early and we end up 'jamming' in the bps smoker garden. WE try all kinds of stuff and always have a little dinner.
In the trailer with Jody and I
IMG_0765-2.jpg

Johnny likes Tri Tip alot....for some crazy reason he likes how I cook it and this what he requested....just a light reverse sear on the drum!
IMG_1904.jpg

I cooked it Johnny sliced it...he is the Godfather he can do what he wants!
IMG_0768-2.jpg

Hmmm what do you think Johnny?
IMG_0771-2.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

Tony111

The meat looks great and a pretty cool cook. I just watched him on BBQ Pitmasters the other day . He won

jetmek

I would love to cook a Tri tip, but I have never seen them here in Ohio. That looks awesome!

Salmonsmoker

Jet,
Tritip is a great cut of meat! If you have a small butcher shop in your area maybe you can have them bring you
in some. Even if they brought in one case. Once people find out how great it is people will be asking for it. When we first came across it many years ago nobody knew what it was and it was a dirt cheap gold mine. We ate mighty good for pennies many years. We would buy a whole case from Costco 70-80#. We had a big freezer and I'd marinate half of them then freeze. Always ready for the BBQ at the drop of a thaw. :)

scooter

Staff member
East of the Rockies they mostly grind the tritip into ground beef for some sad reason. It's a wonderfully tasty and tender cut if cooked like a thick steak. Costco was one of the few east of the Rockies who sold it regularly until Costco started their new practice of tenderizing this already tender piece of meat which means to be safe you need to cook it to an incinerated IT of 160+! You can no longer purchase tritip at Costco that hasn't been run through their tenderizer machine.

scooter

Staff member
Yes, I would say so. The wrapped packages they put out for members all seem to have the sticker below indicating mechanical tenderization. If you do what BP does and buy them by the bag, prior to them tenderizing them, then you'll be fine.
See the Consumer Reports report I attached. If there are any nasty bacteria on the outside, the mechanical tenderizer will push them deep into the meet requiring an IT of 160 to ensure they're dead. You can undercook if you want but that's playing Russian roulette with your families health in my book.

What You Need to Know About Mechanically Tenderized Beef - Consumer Reports

rts_Mechanically_Tenderized_Beef_Steak_Costco_6-13.jpg

Smitty

Yeah tri tip is a great cut of meat, but yeah I was back in Iowa trying to find some and good luck!
I know Sams Club does carry tri tips but I am not sure if they do back east.

Cmsmith225

Thanks for the heads up on the mechanical tenderization! I ended up just having my local butcher cut me up one for this weekend. A little more expensive but better meat hopefully.

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

Salmonsmoker

So, if you don't mind buying in bulk, the cry-o-pac of tri tips from Costco and RD haven't been mechanically tenderized. If memory serves correctly there's 8-10 tri's in a pac. Tri tip at RD is a recent addition. They didn't carry the item last summer, and they're peeled like at Costco, so you're not buying a bunch of fat.

Top Bottom