Drum choice questions

rockinshelby

Getting ready for my fist build. Waiting for BPS kits to be back online. A couple of questions regarding drum choice. I have the option of a used, clean food grade drum with a "clear-gold" coating inside (cheap) or a brand new, unlined drum (much more expensive). The new drum is available in 16 or 18 ga. The 16 ga being a bit more money. Does it make a huge difference? Would I still need to burn out and wire wheel the new drum prior to seasoning? Your advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum rockinshelby! The used food grade barrel will probably take sandblasting to remove the lining. I just had a single use barrel without liner sandblasted inside and out for $65. Inside to expose"new"metal so that I didn't have any unseen and unwanted residue on the "food" side of the barrel, and the outside to prep for high heat paint. It's possible that the new barrel might have a rust inhibitor on the inside, so a burn-out is probably wise. Rather than filling it with wood to do a burn-out and then having that clean-up, use a propane turkey fryer burner. Turn the barrel upside down over the burner and block it up high enough so the flame can get air. It'll get hotter than a wood fire. If you have your barrel drilled you'll get some flow-through that will help carry off any volatiles. A coarse steelwool rubdown after should be all you need to do your seasoning.

Last edited:

MrAdam

Welcome to the forum.

The gauge of metal matters a bit. The thicker gauge will help hold the temp a bit more stable, but not enough to justify spending more money on it. If you go used, that liner will need to be sandblasted off. Count on $50-$75 for sandblasting.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

sheepdad

I'm with Salmonsmoker and MrAdam. Go with the used food grade and have it sandblasted. I got mine done at a cemetery monument place.

MrAdam

Lol. "Here lies tonight's supper. It will be delicious."

sheepdad

Hey Sheep! They didn't etch anything onto the barrel did they? Something ending with _ _ _ _AD?:eek:

Lol. "Here lies tonight's supper. It will be delicious."

Lol :D

No but they did give me a coupon for $5 off a flower arrangement one of those eternal light candles. They're free with every purchase so i took it. :screwy::D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom