Quick UDS build question

T G

Hello, I've just recently stumbled upon this fantastic site, I have a quick question for my UDS that I am currently building.

I drilled all my holes yesterday for my grate hardware, and I figured that I had enough clearance between the bottom of the barrel and my first grate. I have the bottom of my charcoal basket sitting at 4" from the bottom, I have a rack for a deflector/water pan at 14", then I have a cooking grate set at 21", then a second grate set at 28". That puts my first grate 17" from the bottom of my basket. I see today that the grate should be 24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket, does anyone think I will have any issues with that bottom grate since I plan on running a diffuser plate/water pan?

T G

Thats kinda what I was thinking, that it may be enough of a deflector to make it usable. when I do my first test burn I am going to put therms at the center of both grates, to make sure.

rockinshelby

I was just looking at the instructions for Big Poppa's UDS and the cooking grate is only 20" or so above the bottom of the coal basket. Not many people appear to use any sort of deflector with these kits. I would guess 17" with the diffuser would work.

wneill20

I was just looking at the instructions for Big Poppa's UDS and the cooking grate is only 20" or so above the bottom of the coal basket. Not many people appear to use any sort of deflector with these kits. I would guess 17" with the diffuser would work.
I built one and yes you do need a deflector if you are going to smoke over 225* and the 3" would make a big difference closer to the coals hot the fire. And yes BP engineering did an excellent job with the design.

T G

So I think Im gonna try and find like a deep dish pizza pan and use that. they're like 14-16" in diameter, I think my charcoal basket is gonna be 14" square, so I will be fine. Im getting the expanded metal material this weekend, I bought 3 pipe nipples, conduit grommits, and caps this evening. Im going to get a ball valve hopefully this weekend, Home Depot only had the type you sweat onto copper pipe. Unfortunately the OD of these pipe nipples isn't 7/8" like I was lead to believe, they're at least 1", and I cut holes for 7/8". No problem though, just need to get my hands on a bigger step bit so I can widen the holes properly.

Top Bottom