Lowest Outside Temperature For Practical Drum Cooking

frjeff

I understand the need to probably add charcoal on a long cook with cold temps, but is their a practical low temp point where one ought not even try?

Things getting nippy here (especially overnight), so don't know if a long cook is worth the try.

MrAdam

In my experience it's not worth pulling out the drum below about 10-15°F.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

cragcrawler

The other day when I smoked on my drum and it was about 35°. I got 4 hours before having to light up another chimney and adding charcoal. That's the coldest so far for me. It kept a pretty good temp I was really pleased. I have some old moving blankets that I want to try and wrap around on a really cold day just to test it.

MrAdam

The other day when I smoked on my drum and it was about 35°. I got 4 hours before having to light up another chimney and adding charcoal. That's the coldest so far for me. It kept a pretty good temp I was really pleased. I have some old moving blankets that I want to try and wrap around on a really cold day just to test it.

Don't use moving blankets. They are very flammable.

backbay2

How bout a water heater blanket wrap.... That might work...... Man it has gotten down to a chilly 40 degrees here.... negatives?? Not even an issue..... Wind, now thats another story

MrAdam

Conversion is easy. C to F C * 1.8 + 32
F to C (F - 32) / 1.8

Top Bottom