Jalapeno Cornbread Stuffed Chops with Hoppin' John

cowgirl

This was my new years day cook.
Made a skillet of jalapeno cornbread adding whole corn kernals, jalapeno and minced onions...

011_zps971765f4.jpg

016_zps99031076.jpg

Gave some chops a "quick" cure by sprinkling with a Tenderquick/sugar combination and letting them chill for an hour.
(1TBS TQ and 1 tsp sugar per pound of meat)

024_zps31d5371c.jpg

Rinsed the chops well and stuffed with jalapeno cornbread stuffing. (2 cups of cornbread, black pepper and chicken stock)

050_zps2175aaee.jpg

made a batch of Hoppin' John with black eyed peas for luck..

034_zps0fd3d6c9.jpg

037_zps0338ed0a.jpg

into the BPS drum at 285F...

073_zps701cc206.jpg

101_zps40ae2d35.jpg

The jalapeno stuffed quick cured pork chop, hoppin' john and greens..

112_zpse43a9438.jpg

141_zps4ca4d120.jpg

With the combo of black eyed peas and greens, I'm hoping to have a lucky year. lol

Thanks for looking!

Forgot to add.. I brought the chops up to 165F in the center of the stuffing. The "quick" cure keeps the pork moist at that high of a temp.

Last edited:

sheepdad

Awesome ensemble jeanie, looks great as usual. Thanks for the cure tip... Handy to know. :beer::beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
Looks great Jeanie! Why did you cure the chops? Love the natural lighting on the chop pic!

cowgirl

Another great cook Jeanie. Never heard of hoppin' john. What is it?

Thank you Salmonsmoker! Hoppin' john is a southern dish made with black eyed peas, ham hocks or bacon, and rice. The peas are said to bring good luck if you eat them on New Years day. I really like the stuff and make it when camping too. Cowgirl's Country Life: Hoppin John campfire style The smoke from a wood fire adds a nice flavor. :)

Bob Thank you!! :)

Looks great Jeanie! Why did you cure the chops? Love the natural lighting on the chop pic!
Thanks Scooter! I love cured chops...also cured chicken pieces. Thighs are good cured this way. It doesn't take long, just an hour or two depending on the thickness of the meat. Hope you give it a try sometime!

Thanks Smokin' Pal, I feel pretty lucky already! :)

Jim Thanks! Glad to hear you're a hoppin' john fan too! :)

What no Skippin Jenny pics? :D

lol No pics Bob but I did enjoy the leftovers the next day. :)
Thanks!

Top Bottom