Painting the drum

Trance309

Hi all. This will be my first Drum smoker (Cant wait till the kits are back in stock so i can order mine). I am getting a brand new unlined drum next Friday but it is painted on the outside so i figure i will have to sand blast that off since not heat paint? If so can i use engine paint or do you have to use BBQ paint? I was just looking for color options.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Engine Paint works fine and looks nicer with a gloss finish, which means it cleans easier too. I used Eastwoods engine paint. Purchased in a can and used a spray gun. Spray cans will do just as well. I just have all the gear to do it with the guns.

Trance309

Engine Paint works fine and looks nicer with a gloss finish, which means it cleans easier too. I used Eastwoods engine paint. Purchased in a can and used a spray gun. Spray cans will do just as well. I just have all the gear to do it with the guns.

Thanks that's great!! I get a lot of stuff from Eastwood I will check engine paints.

sheepdad

Don't sandblast the outside if you want a nice gloss finish. Blast media puts a rough finish on so you'll have to sand it down anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom