Drum Smoker = 7th Place Pork at 3rd Annual Wild, Wild West BBQ Comp in Lake Elsinore

firehouse_bbq

Hey All,

We borrowed a drum smoker to try it out for competition (Thanks again Wes) and it worked great. We cooked one butt and one brisket on the drum, and also a butt and brisket on our pellet cookers to compare. I screwed up the brisket on the drum and it was tough, but the pork butt from the drum was great and we used it for our turn in at the Wild Wild West BBQ Comp in Lake Elsinore.

We managed a 7th place in pork, our only call :-(

It was a tough competition, and the weather was horrible. Rain, cold and cold!

Started the drum around 3:30am, put in the meat at 4:30am, and it worked great. Struggled some maintaining temps as the winds kept shifting direction, but overall it worked great.

I will be ordering two BPS drum kits when they are back in stock, and plan to use the drum for our comp pork and brisket going forward. Still debating on getting a guru or stoker for the drum, we will see. I definately see the benefit for a heat deflector too, cant wait to see what BPS is working on!

Thanks again Wes for letting me borrow it. Scooter stopped by, and it was great to meet you in person and chat for a few.

Happy New Year everyone!

Pete

wneill20

You did a great job considering the conditions 30* windy an rain the night before. I tasted your Ribs, Brisket an Pork an was very surprise by the scores i sure didn't see it that way,but it is what it is. Great job and you are welcome.

Wes

firehouse_bbq

Thanks Wes. The conditions were tough, and boy was I tired last night, but we had fun.

We really liked our chicken, and it was the exact same recipe we used two weeks ago for 4th place, o-well, that is how it goes. I was surprised with brisket too, but that is how it goes sometimes.

Cant wait to build my own drum, and use it in Wildomar!

You did a great job considering the conditions 30* windy an rain the night before. I tasted your Ribs, Brisket an Pork an was very surprise by the scores i sure didn't see it that way,but it is what it is. Great job and you are welcome.

Wes

firehouse_bbq

Thanks BP, we were happy. I really like the taste of the food on the drum. Only wish I had not screwed up the brisket and made it tough :) Hoping to redeem myself in Wildomar in April. Lots of time to practice.

The drums give the food such great authentic smoke flavor Nice call!

scooter

Staff member
Here's some pics of Pete's camp at WWWIII. Was great to meet you also Pete.
Wes, I didn't know you were there. Please tell me that's not you in the pic below with Pete!

IMG_0295_zpsce344986.jpg

IMG_0292_zpsf3278fc6.jpg

Last edited:

wneill20

Scooter that is not me but it would be my drum :), i got there early watched Pete make his boxes an do his turn inns, also had to try the brisket and butt off the drum that was some good stuff. if i would have known you were going to be there i would have hung out just for the pleasure of meeting you. Maybe next time.
Wes

Last edited:
Top Bottom