First Post, Lamb

auxren

Hey Y'all,
I can't believe its taken me this long to join this forum. I've had a BPS drum smoker for a few months now and have used it almost every weekend. I've made tri-tip and chicken too many times to count, along with ribs and butts. Love my drum smoker. This weekend I decided to make some lamb. Best decision ever!

I prepped the drum smoker and got it going at a consistant 225. I soaked a bowl full of cherry wood in water for over an hour and stole a bunch of rosemary branches from my neighbor. I threw the soaked wood and rosemary branches on top of the coals right before I threw the meat on to produce the most smoke.

For the lamb chops, I wrapped the sides with bacon, then sprayed the top with olive oil, sprinkled on some BPS Little Louie's seasoned garlic rub, and put a bit of chopped rosemary on top; repeated for the bottom. Kept on the smoker till internal temperature was 135 (didn't flip it) and pulled it. The lamb chops came out amazing!

photo1_zpsb119dc99.jpg

For the rack of lamb, I made a paste of chopped rosemary, garlic, mint, olive oil, and BPS Little Louie's and let it hang out in my fridge over night. I brushed it on the rack of lamb, after cleaning it up a bit. Wrapped up the exposed bones in foil and stuck it on the smoker. Left on smoker until 120 internal temperature, then pulled it. Got my grill nice and hot and seared the rack until an internal temperature of 135. Let the rack rest for 10 minutes before cutting up. Came out great, but not as good as the lamb chops.
photo2_zpseaf89465.jpg

photo3_zpsafead8a8.jpg

photo4_zps52366821.jpg

I also smoked a chicken to make chicken salad for lunch this week :cool:
photo5_zpsc0405478.jpg

I love my drum smoker...

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to DS.com, auxren. Your cooks look great. One thing though, soaking the wood first for more smoke etc. is an urban legend. The moisture lowers the temp. of the fire, and before the wood starts to smoke it has to get rid of the moisture. That's steam that you're seeing, not more smoke. During higher moisture cooks, that extra moisture can help lead to "black rain":( dripping on whatever you're cooking.

sheepdad

Looks great from here:beer::beer:
Welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing more of your cooks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

auxren

One thing though, soaking the wood first for more smoke etc. is an urban legend. The moisture lowers the temp. of the fire, and before the wood starts to smoke it has to get rid of the moisture. That's steam that you're seeing, not more smoke. During higher moisture cooks, that extra moisture can help lead to "black rain":( dripping on whatever you're cooking.

Thanks! Is the black rain you're talking about condensation from the lid dripping back down? Hasn't happened yet, but good to know.

Also, I see here that people use pellets more so than wood chips. Is there a benefit to one over the other?

scooter

Staff member
The Force is strong with this one!!!

Welcome to DS.com auxren!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

Salmonsmoker

Thanks! Is the black rain you're talking about condensation from the lid dripping back down? Hasn't happened yet, but good to know.

Also, I see here that people use pellets more so than wood chips. Is there a benefit to one over the other?

Yes on the black rain.
If wood chips are packed together so that air can't get into the internal chips in the pile, they will smoulder to produce the smoke from the outside inwards. If you were to throw a handful of chips on the coals in your drum, it's unlikely they'll stay tightly packed. They'll flash and be gone. Like "fluffing" a pile of burning leaves to expose the center to air and flames. Pellets have that air tight deal kind of built in, so work better for that reason when loosely thrown on the coals. However, making a foil pouch with either chips or pellets in it, and a single hole poked in the top, is a great way to get smoke from chips or pellets without flashing.

Top Bottom