Hanging food?

Patrick_CT

Has anyone modified their drum to hang food? I have seen that on other drums and also thought I saw someone here doing it... just curious.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Meat Man has...its funny as this is not a new thing but the guys selling the hanging drum and their promoter Patio dadio take a very position that he created it....he didnt.

scooter

Staff member
My nephew has been making and selling drum smokers for years with the same two pieces of rebar to hang food from. He uses the same drums to cater with also.
I've thought of doing it to my black drum but have not had an occasion where I need to cook 5 chickens at once yet. If that time comes, I'll drill the holes and buy the rebar and S hooks. I already purchased the sheet magnet for covering the holes when not in use.

scooter

Staff member
They have no ground to stand on to defend the claim they invented bars to hang meat from in drums unless their claim is they invented that whole drum smoker system they sell that includes hanging bars and not just the hanging bars themselves.

cowgirl

no my point was these guys are trying to claim they invented it....its been around forever

I agree with BP...hanging rods are not new.
Drum cooking is old too, drums are just getting fancier. :) The oldest drum photo I saw was in black and white from around the 50s or 60s.

I'm not convinced hanging is the best way to cook either. Something bothers me about having one end of the meat hanging closer to the heat source than the other end. I guess you switch ends half way through for even cooking? I can't see the benefit over leaving the meat horizontal.
I've not used rods so I really have no idea. :confused:

I hang meat in my smokehouse but that's when cold smoking. The smoke circulates around the meat. I'm not understanding how you can have even cooking by hanging in a drum. :confused:

Maybe I'm just having a blonde moment. lol

Top Bottom