How much charcoal to start with???

firehouse_bbq

I am borrowing a buddies Drum for a competition this weekend, and as soon as the kit is back in stock, will be ordering one! Question though, for an 7-8 hour cook (pork butt and brisket) how much charcoal (unlit) would you put in the basket to maintain a 275 or so temp for that many hours?

I am using regular blue kingsford if that matters :)

Thanks!

Pete

sheepdad

Hey Pete,
I would just fill it and use 15-20 lit coals. That should get you 8 no problem at all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MrAdam

Depends how big the basket is but bank on a pound per hour as a general rule of thumb.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

firehouse_bbq

Thanks guys. Using a drum with the BPS kit, so that will show the size of the basket. Just going to fill it, and start with about 15-20 lit on top. It will be COLD when I start cooking, so figure I could use a little extra to get it going.

MrAdam

Depends what you mean by cold. I use more charcoal when it's really cold. I won't cook when it's colder than about 10° F because it's too difficult to keep the temp stable.

At those temps I burn closer to 2 lbs per hour.

firehouse_bbq

Cold for me means in the low 30s when I start cooking, and probably in the low 50s when I am done :)

Depends what you mean by cold. I use more charcoal when it's really cold. I won't cook when it's colder than about 10° F because it's too difficult to keep the temp stable.

At those temps I burn closer to 2 lbs per hour.

MrAdam

Just keep an eye on your basket, or top it off when you foil.

sheepdad

Just keep an eye on your basket, or top it off when you foil.

Great tip..kill 2 birds with one stone. 2 big hunks O meat are going to suck up a bunch of heat off the coals for sure. Taking that and the cold temps into consideration. I would plan on a top off.
Good luck and take some pics too:)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

MrAdam

When it's really cold out I know I'm going to need a top off, so to cut down on the number of times I have to open the lid I fill the basket when I take food off to foil. If I have any leftover I can just use it in the next cook anyways.

cowgirl

I fill my coal basket full with every cook and use the air intake to control the temperature. When the cook is over I close all air intake and outlets and use the extinquished coals in the next cook. I've never had to add more coals during a cook for anything, briskets, butts or whole venison shoulders.
After 12 hrs I tap the side of the drum to knock off any ash on the hot coals and keep on cooking. :)

Top Bottom