Ok who used their drum for Christmas?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I have sinned....I didnt have a drum where I spent Christmas...actually with King of the Smokers and all the Christmas business stuff my drum has been neglected...but not for long...look out Imm going to be searing and smoking some dead animals this week for you kids.

MrAdam

I'm well aware off that feeling. Bring a truck driver it's not uncommon for me to be 2000 miles away from my drum.

Luckily in Feb I might have an opportunity to change careers and vide home every night. I'll be cranking out all sorts of longhorn beef goodies, as well as other yummy stuff.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
We did. a 20 pound Prime Rib Eye Roast. First seared 3 minutes a side on the MAK Grill for looks. Then on the Big Poppa Stainless Drum. Flipped at 90º internal (the only time the lid was off until the end) The family likes their meat cooked more then most so it was taken off @ 125 and in the Cambro for one hour. I would recommend 120 for others.

DSC02590-L.jpg

Seasoned with
simply_marvelous_pepperedcow.jpg

and a little
jala_bacon_13.3oz_winner.jpg

Cooking on the Drum this is when we flipped it over

DSC02592-L.jpg

DSC02585-L.jpg

Sliced and ready for the crowd

DSC02601-L.jpg

sheepdad

Looks great jim:beer::beer:

No drum cooking for me either. Planning something this week but not sure what. Maybe chicken thighs or ribs... or both?
Now that i think of it, i just ordered some Big Bob Gibson White and some other things from BP so i might wait on the thighs until I get the order. Heck, i can always get more thighs so why wait, right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
I used only drums this year. Christmas morning was at home, Christmas dinner at my brother Rick's house. He asked me to smoke a rib roast and some ABT's and bring it over. No problem!! The drums got the nod!

He provided me a 19lb USDA Prime boneless rib roast! Here it is all trimmed, seasoned and trussed.
IMG_0162.jpg

Trussing it kept it in a nice round shape for even cooking
IMG_0168.jpg

On the SS EDS at around 275 in the center with red oak wood
IMG_0170.jpg

Time to open presents with Mrs scooter and my daughters
IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Had a nice breakfast of eggs, Nueske's bacon, hash browns and sourdough toast. Now it's time to flip and rotate the roast.
IMG_0180.jpg

Time to get the ABT's started
IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Cut in half, blanched, stuffed with onion & chive cream cheese, sprinkled with Bacon Jalapeno Maple rub, wrapped with bacon that was rubbed with brown sugar and secured with a toothpick then given another sprinkle with the rub. Put them on the black EDS while the roast was on the SS EDS.
IMG_0184-1.jpg

Continued

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
Continued

Roast is done at 137IT. Look at that drum crust!! Didn't see the point in searing it so left it like that. Drums lay down a level of carmelized crust that's unreal! Let it rest for 45 mins uncovered. The push ended at 145IT. Wrapped up with towels and put into the cooler to wait until dinner time.
IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

The ABTs are done as well. Pack them up with the roast in the cooler for the trip over to Rick's house.
IMG_0195.jpg

Over at Rick's. Their table was beautiful
IMG_0201.jpg

Handsome boy "Pepper" with his red Christmas tie on!
IMG_0205.jpg

Rick's son Beau and daughter April. That's my daughter in the background who turned 21 on the 18th....I'll have to keep an eye on her for sure! lol
IMG_0202.jpg

Sorry, none of the carving pics turned out so we pick up the action at the table. R-L, my youngest Taylor, older brother Mike, Mom and Dad, Beau's fiance Alyssa, Beau, my older daughter Amanda, Rick's grandaughter Jayla.
IMG_0214.jpg

plated pic! Served with shaved brussel sprouts sauted with bacon fat and chopped bacon and apple cider, sweet brown sugar carrots sauted with jalapenos, grilled asparagus, jalapeno scalloped potatoes! Fantastic!!!!
IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Two desserts on the same plate, (Left) triple chocolate layer (white choc, milk choc, dark choc) mousse cake with pistachio creme anglais and (right) the other slice was chocolate caramel-almond tart!

IMG_0226-1.jpg

Last edited:

cowgirl

Everything looks great Jim and Scooter!!

I used the BPS drum last night. Had my heart set on crab legs. They rate right up there with bacon, garlic and chocolate as one of my favorite things. :)

I baked a loaf of bread, made twice baked tatoes, seared some ribeyes and made a salad.

By the time I cooked the outside temperature was in the teens... It was Sooooo Cold!!

011_zps1b50b623.jpg

017_zps89e84739.jpg

021_zps7b8c25a9.jpg

019_zps3b1166e9.jpg

I really loved the option of raising the hot coal basket up to sear the steaks.

026_zpsf43ca89e.jpg

033_zpsbaf84c10.jpg

034_zps1b532cbf.jpg

I ended up eating the crablegs with garlic butter, hot bread and a glass of wine.
Didn't make it to the steak, tatoes or salad but company said they were tasty. :)

Hope everyone had a great day!

scooter

Staff member
Man Jeanie, you missed out on the surf & turf aspect? The steaks look really good as do the crab legs! I'd probably had mostly crab but wouldn't have been able to NOT have some of that steak!

Jim, that roast looks great! I love the family pics you posted along with your cook that you posted on PS.com! They didn't get posted here.
Only in SoCal could you have an outdoor feast at Christmas time!!

Last edited:

KristenBPS

We used the drum for the first time! Had a little trouble maintaining the temp, but learning as we go. Grilled pork loin chops, half w money & half with Desert Gold. Scalloped potatoes went on the MAK.
-BEF9-4223-84C3-CEFB6B7FFFC1-9504-00000A7582A7C754.jpg

-7C46-4C93-B438-FEF7E0005D93-9504-00000A8DFFA14E67.jpg

sheepdad

Looks good Kristen. Half of the fun is learning to master the drum. Thank goodness that even with a less than perfect cook, the food still tastes pretty darn good.

BTW...I'm jealous of your SS BPS. That thing is a work of art. Almost too pretty to cook with. "ALMOST" :cool:

KristenBPS

Looks good Kristen. Half of the fun is learning to master the drum. Thank goodness that even with a less than perfect cook, the food still tastes pretty darn good.

BTW...I'm jealous of your SS BPS. That thing is a work of art. Almost too pretty to cook with. "ALMOST" :cool:

Its my dad's drum and I am "helping" through the learning curve, its fun for me & I am hoping he will not get frustrated. But he loves the food so it should be fine.

It is a thing of beauty for sure!!!

Top Bottom