Pre Christmas Prim Rib

Motay

Cooked this in the BPS yesterday using KF Blue and Cowboy lump. 6 lbs with a nice rub, saran wrapped/fridged for about 36 hours, popped in the drum yesterday early afternoon. It was delicious!!

Christmasprimerib.jpg

Motay

My cooker is rock steady between 180 and 190. The roast was at 53 degrees when it went in the drum, where it sat for exactly four hours. I pulled it with an internal temp of 165 and it was nice and rare in the center, which is exactly how I like my beef. I didn't mention above but I was using mesquite chunks in with the lump.

scooter

Staff member
I pulled it with an internal temp of 165 and it was nice and rare in the center, which is exactly how I like my beef.

I think there might be something going on with your thermometer Motay as 165 is usually well done with zero pink left but as long as you know that 165 on your thermometer is the temp to pull at then you should be good. Did you mean 125 or 135?

Motay

Scooter, good observation. No, it really did say 165, so you may be correct about the thermo being faulty. Might be a great excuse for me to buy a Maverick!!

Merry Christmas everyone.

scooter

Staff member
You may want to get a pot of water to a rolling boil then put the tip of your thermometer into the water near the top, not down near the bottom of the pot. Wait for it to settle in on a temp. Your thermometer should register 212F +/- a degree or two depending on your altitude and atmospheric pressure. This simple test will tell you how far off your thermometer is from being true.

If you're interested, I put together a backyard guide to calibrating thermometers.
How to check your digital thermometer for accuracy

Top Bottom