Lump Coal

wneill20

Bought some from SAMs Club an it is like little logs 6" to 10" in length is this typical? A lot of them are larger then what is shown in the photo.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356299756.927985.jpg

scooter

Staff member
I prefer lump only for searing as like BP said, it burns hotter. It also lights quicker. I think it's the irregular shape of lump that has put me off to using lump for cooking. Just seem to prefer the consistent shape and predictable performance of briquets. K blue bag briqs burn a real long time. Lump seems to burn hotter but burns out quicker.

Big Poppa

Administrator
actually all charcoal is different the best site out there is naked whiz.....the hasty bake I sell is private label ozark oak....

scooter

Staff member
Yep, agreed and the whiz is a great site for reviews. Their positive review of Royal Oak lump is why I use it sometimes because it's cheap and performs well although some of the pieces I find inside the bag are a bit of a mystery sometimes.
I prefer using hardwood briqs like K comp briquets sometimes when I can find it on sale.

sheepdad

I use it once in a while for hot cooks mixed with blu bag. Mostly for chicken but I've been putting it in on top for cold weather cooks as well thinking it will cut the time it takes to get up to temp... Seems to work. I just go with kingford cause it's usually around. I've tried Cowboy once but it sparked and popped all thru the cook so i wrote it off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom