Early Christmas present

sheepdad

Got a new piece of cast iron today to add to the collection. This Lodge 5qt DO with bail wire handle is in the oven for its first seasoning. Even though they come preseasoned, I like to run them thru the process 3 or 4 times before using to get a good base coat on.
First cook is gonna be Vegetable Dumpling Stew inside in the fireplace. I picked up a cast iron tuscan grill grate that will keep my leg less DO's and pans about 2 inches above the coals. Can't wait to break this one in.

uploadfromtaptalk1356224278514.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sheepdad

Not sure if it will fit with the cover on but I have smaller ones that have no problem.

I season mine by putting on a real thin
coat of canola oil on all surfaces and bake for 3 hours @ 425° then let it cool down overnight in the oven. Then i do it again the next day and so on. I've used olive oil and flax seed oil on my other pieces and like the flaxseed oil the best but i forgot that i used it up the last time and forgot to get more. The next 2 seasonings will be with flaxseed for sure.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sheepdad

Nice Bob, You really use it in the fireplace at home? Very rustic of you. :p

Yep, until I get one of those lodge cook tables, I gotta do it like that.
BTW
I make the family dress like Pilgrims too when I'm cookin for authenticity. Makes the food taste better you know.

sheepdad

Where are the pics of the Vegetable Dumpling Stew inside in the fireplace amigo??

Getting ready to go shopping now so I'll try to cook it tomorrow W/PICS !!!
I just got Mark Hansen's of "Marksblackpot.com" cookbook and I got all sorts of ideas flowin around my head so I have to go shopping and stock up on some cooking necessities that I didn't know I needed LOL.

I might have Chickie Thighs to do today W/PICS if I finish up before it gets too dark.

Top Bottom