Yard Bird On The Drum

wneill20

Been on for an hour or so this is for sure a learning curve it takes a long time for temp changes not like the pellet smokers. But we will get there.
7c2543cc467963ac394c9ebc4f9edc5b.jpg

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Ok sometimes I'm a little slow. I chased the short bus to school. Are you saying getting the drum to temp is taking a long time? If so I came to pellet cooking from a WSM. With the WSM and the WDS Drum first thing I do is light the drum and set the vents for temp. Then I go get the food to cook and start the prep. After 20 minutes I check the Drum for temp and adjust as needed. I usually give the drum a one hour head start. Prep food, walk the dogs etc. then on the drum with food. It comes quicker with time

wneill20

Jim, i had no problem starting the drum it was adjusting the temp after it was started. Do you leave the exhaust vent wide open an only adjust the supply vents on the bottom? i was having a hard time getting it below 275* which is ok for chicken but would like to smoke my ribs at 225.

southga

I start my fire with about 10 lit briquettes. I don't have any way to adjust exhaust so its always wide open. I have three intakes, one with a ball valve. I start with all three fully open. As temps begin to rise, I start closing down intakes. I don't normally cook at 225. I like to cook butts, ribs, etc at 260 +/-. The key is to catch your target temp on the way up. For me to hit 225 target, I would probably close one intake at about 185-190. Close another at about 200. Finally close the ball valve about 2/3 at 210. This should let the temp stablize around 225 with only minor adjustments.

BTW, most drums have a "happy zone" where they seem to settle & hold temps best. Each drum is a little different. Mine likes 265-275. I have adjusted to cooking at my drum's happy temp rather they fighting to force it to cook at a lower temp. I have cooked some mighty fine ribs at 265. They were as good, if not better, than ribs I used to cook at 225 on my offset.

Chicken is the only thing I really cook outside my drum's "happy zone". I can open the intakes up a little more & get 290-310 fairly easily for chicken.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Wneill Exhaust always open unless it is the last resort...we want the smoke flowing and not trapped...that gives you the best flavor

Next think is to anticipate the temp like braking a semi truck It is easier to ramp up than down.

sheepdad

Do some dry runs now without food. Make sure you keep a record of times, temps, and intake adjustments. I did 2 or 3 dry runs i think and tried to get an idea of how the drum reacted to adjustments. I had a Maverick 732 to get my pit readings in the center which was indispensable. But in the end, what i was able to see on paper really helped me with my temp learning curve.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
I used to start with way too much charcoal but due to BP and southga I now start with 10-20 briqs and ramp it up a little slower leaving the upper vent wide open. Usually I get about 275 in the middle with the bottom vents set at one half hole open. Adjusting the bottom vents slightly produces quick changes. They are very responsive. I've found these drum controls to be every bit as quick as a pellet cookers.
Keep on cookin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

scooter

Staff member
Also, FYI, I use K blue bag charcoal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Our drums run around 250 with one lower hole open. you don not need to be using both sets of vents. On low temps it is easier to have one closed and be adjusting just one set.

Charcoal I use what I buy cheapest. Which this time of year is Blue bag. In the summer buy brown bag at Costco

wneill20

Thanks everyone i think i got it. This time i used about 15 cools to start open two holes on both vents let it run until it was at 215* shut it down two 1/2 hole each side an it has been running at a solid 230* for the last 45 minutes.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Good deal ,once you get all the settings it will be easier. Overshoot is the hardest to correct. Two holes on our drum runs about 315-325 depending on weather. I do find by using a full fire basket it helps. I do reuse any charcoal that is left from the last cook.

Top Bottom