Goulash on the drum

cowgirl

This recipe belongs to a friend in Germany, it was his Hungarian wife's recipe.

2 1/2lbs shanks (I use beef)
2 1/2lbs onions cubed
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp crushed caraway
1 TBS marjoram
1 tsp oregano
4 TBS sweet paprika ( or more)
1 TBS wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp tomato paste
lard
broth

saute onions in lard til brown, remove 1/2 of the onions and puree them. place them back into the pot,
add minced garlic, caraway, oregano, paprika, vinegar, paste and a little bit of stock, Simmer for 30 minutes.

Salt and pepper.
Add cubed shanks and enough beef stock to come half way up the side of the meat.
Simmer 2-3 hours or until tender. Stir every hour or so.

002_zpsa85d4cc3.jpg

015_zpsadbccf01.jpg

028_zpsea02fc3c.jpg

022_zps3253dd76.jpg

I used a packet of pellets. :)

046_zps74b09d4b.jpg

053_zps2346519b.jpg

064_zps9737391c.jpg

the goulash with smooshed potatoes...

105_zpsb4df5b85.jpg

112_zps7b44779a.jpg

The goulash doesn't really benefit from smoke because the flavor combination of the ingredients is so strong. I like to use the drum because it is so easy for me. I can put the pot in and forget it.

I guess I think of the drum as another cooking tool, not just something to smoke meat. I love it!!

Thanks for looking!

scooter

Staff member
Beautiful!! That last pic is outta bounds! It's almost like it's my hand holdin that fork!

Motay

Jeanie, as soon as I saw the title my mind immediately translated that to osso bucco (sp?). It looks superb!!

BTW - where do you get the way cool personalized grill grate? That's freakin awesome!!!!

MrAdam

The only thing osso bucco and goulash have in common is that they both use shank and they both make the meat tender through braising. They have very different (but both delicious) flavor profiles.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

cowgirl

Thanks everybody! :)

Jeanie, as soon as I saw the title my mind immediately translated that to osso bucco (sp?). It looks superb!!

BTW - where do you get the way cool personalized grill grate? That's freakin awesome!!!!

Motay I got the custom grate from Meyer Metal Works in Kansas... here's a link with more pics.
http://www.drumsmoking.com/hall-fame-recipes/32-greek-pork-braid.html
I really like the thing. I used it in my old home made drum but now I've been using it in my BPS stainless drum.
My old drum is being neglected. lol

Thanks!! :)

Top Bottom