BBQ Guro PartyQ Temp. Controller

frjeff

On my few cooks thus far I have not had great difficulty controlling temps. However, I do have to step away from the house on occasion and am wondering if anyone is using the PartyQ on their BPS.

I see other sites where they do use these and mount on their valve. Without a valve on ours, how are others mounting to the Big Poppa. Also, is this model sufficient CPM?

Not going to rush out and get one, but Santa should come here this year and I have been a pretty good boy. :eek:

MrAdam

I have left my drum alone for hours and it hasn't budged.

When I first got my drum I was thinking about a stoker system to keep the temps steady. Now I just set it and forget it.

Once you learn your drum, and the more you cook on it, the steadier your temps will be. I cooked a brisket last Friday. Put it on at 4am with the temp at 250 and went back to bed. Woke up at 8 am and temp was 255.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I use one for the reason you mention. I added a adapter just for the Guru. I use the Guru to help when starting the coals and then shift to what I call maintenance mode. Where I have the vents set to run the drum say at 250 with no Guru help. I then adjust the bottom vent down a 1/4 to 1/2 a hole less. depending on the weather. Now the drum will keep temp with just a little help from the guru. Good weather no wind I may not even adjust the vents so the guru only runs if something changed requiring it to assist . You want as little forced air in the drum as needed so the smoke stays in longer and lingers around before exiting the top vent. Any other questions ask as there are a few of us that have used these for years on different pits.

frjeff

I use one for the reason you mention. I added a adapter just for the Guru. I use the Guru to help when starting the coals and then shift to what I call maintenance mode. Where I have the vents set to run the drum say at 250 with no Guru help. I then adjust the bottom vent down a 1/4 to 1/2 a hole less. depending on the weather. Now the drum will keep temp with just a little help from the guru. Good weather no wind I may not even adjust the vents so the guru only runs if something changed requiring it to assist . You want as little forced air in the drum as needed so the smoke stays in longer and lingers around before exiting the top vent. Any other questions ask as there are a few of us that have used these for years on different pits.

Jimsbarbecue,

Thanks for the reply.
Do you have any more specifics on the "how to mount" on my BPS.
Would I drill another vent hole (size?) somewhere about the same level as the slider vents?
And, is their then a fitting/adapter I need to buy to fit into that hole?
Pics?

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
See the thread BPS bottom vents. The parts I use are called a waste nuts I purchased from Grainger black inside galvanize out side. On the inside I have a 90 that points downward . So it doesn't blow at the fire basket. Or you can just use the universal adapter for the Guru

scooter

Staff member
You should be able to leave your drum unattended for a hour or so as long as the environmental impacts don't change while you're gone. If the wind picks up and starts blowing into your drum, your pit temp will change significantly. A Stoker or Guru will help remove environmental impacts from being a factor in controlling your pit temps. Also, as your coal begins to wane the Stoker will help keep temps up until it simply can't help anymore because the charcoal is too far gone to keep temps up where you want them.
I have a Stoker. Didn't like the feature set in the Guru back in 2010.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
One thing I will add here a UDS the basic idea on intake is four 3/4 inch holes. On the BP Drum smoker there are four 3/4 inch holes behind two vents. Seems like overkill doesn't it. Where they are located lets you use either vent to optimized weather or location so the surrounding conditions don't effect the cook in ways you did not have planned.

southga

I use a PartyQ on my drum but it is not a BPS setup. So to answer one of your questions, yes the fan is strong enough to work in the drum. However, I do not use the PartyQ to bring the drum up to temp. I start with all of my intakes fully open & begin closing them down as the temp rises. When I get within about 20-25* of my target temp, I pop on the PartyQ & let it stabilize the temp. My drum has 3 nipples, one with a ball valve. I use the 3/4" threaded adapter on the ball valve. The website has lots on info on the different adapters so you may find one that works with the BPS intake system. If not, you could simply drill a new hole for use with the PartyQ & the universal adapter. When the PartyQ is not in use, you could cover the hole with a refrig magnet.

Top Bottom