Bison help!

MrAdam

So I got some bison shank cut for osso bucco, and my butcher thought I also wanted a boneless shank for smoking.

I'm wondering if any of our more adventurous cooks have tried smoking shank, or if I just have some really nice stewing meat.

Also, if you guys don't mind, I'll post pics of the osso bucco (done in the oven).

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

cowgirl

I've got some shanks thawing in the fridge for tomorrow. I like to make goulash with them or place a cast iron pot full of shanks in the drum with stock, onions, garlic, seasonings and let them braise. Looking forward to your pics!!

MrAdam

Pics will have to wait! I'm on the road right now. I think up what I'm going to cook when I'm home ahead of time.

For example, my osso bucco menu is bison osso bucco with risotto Milanese and Brussels sprouts with bacon and kimchi.

Also doing some longhorn prime rib with potato croquettes and green beans in a balsamic reduction.

I have one more meal to cook on the drum and that is lamb chops then the drum is going away for the winter. It was -34 with the wind chill today.

backbay2

" osso bucco" "risotto Milanese" "kimchi".

"potato croquettes".

Me and GOOGLE are becoming friends rather quickly :)

Of all those "potato croquettes" seems like something I could manage...... Any pointers on how you make yours?

Last edited:

MrAdam

Use cold mashed potatoes. I like using panko breadcrumbs to coat them. Should be available in your grocery store.

backbay2

Use cold mashed potatoes. I like using panko breadcrumbs to coat them. Should be available in your grocery store.

Panko breadcrumbs available in my pantry, and cold mashed potatoes left over from the salmon and taters and asparagus last night!!! IT'S ON............ and I will try to take pictures..THANKS

backbay2

Without Pictures it never happened...........

Parmesan cheese
christmas174.jpg

Loaded Potato style
christmas176.jpg

Served
christmas179.jpg

Thanks again Mr. Adams they turned out great!!

cowgirl

I also would love to have your goulash recipe!

This belongs to a friend in Germany, it was his Hungarian wife's recipe.

2 1/2lbs shanks (I use beef)
2 1/2lbs onions cubed
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp crushed caraway
1 TBS marjoram
1 tsp oregano
4 TBS sweet paprika ( or more)
1 TBS wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp tomato paste
lard
broth

saute onions in lard til brown, remove 1/2 of the onions and puree them. place them back into the pot,
add minced garlic, caraway, oregano, paprika, vinegar, paste and a little bit of stock, Simmer for 30 minutes.

Salt and pepper.
Add cubed shanks and enough beef stock to come half way up the side of the meat.
Simmer 2-3 hours or until tender. Serve with braised red cabbage, potatoes or noodles

I've made this a few times and really like it.

Made a batch yesterday, hope to post pics here.
Good luck with it! :)

Top Bottom