KOS pics

scooter

Staff member
After the contest was over the schedule of demos and discussions at various competitor sites began. It started with Johnny Trigg and ended with Dan Hixon of 3 Eyz BBQ then was followed by the rewards ceremony at 6PM. Here are some pics I took of the demos/discussions and the reward ceremony.

Johnny did a knife skills demo then a BBQ Q&A
IMG_9924.jpg

IMG_9940.jpg

Next was Scott Nelson doing a demo of BPS rubs
IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_9944.jpg

We then moved to the Plowboys site where Todd Johns spoke about rubs and sauce
IMG_9947.jpg

Next up was our own Andy Groneman who, with the assistance of his daughters, did a demo of his SOW BBQ marinade
IMG_9958.jpg

IMG_9962.jpg

Following Andy was Rod Gray of Pellet Envy who spoke to us about competition brisket
IMG_9968.jpg

IMG_9971.jpg

Next was a BBQ talk with Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson.
IMG_9973.jpg

Continued

scooter

Staff member
We moved over to Harry Soo of Slap Yo Daddy BBQ who discussed backyard BBQ.
IMG_9974.jpg

IMG_9976.jpg

Next up was Tuffy Stone of Cool Smoke. Tuffy spoke of competition BBQ and the philosophy behind success. BP rejoined us for this discussion. It went beyond Tuffy's alotted time but no one in attendance minded at all!
IMG_9995.jpg

IMG_9985.jpg

IMG_9998.jpg

Matt Dalton and his Left Coast Q team members joined us for Tuffy's discussion
IMG_9999.jpg

Next was Dan Hixon of 3 Eyz BBQ who did a rib trimming demo
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

All the category calls received these fully functioning mini BPS EDS's as trophies
IMG_0010-1.jpg

After the awards were over all the competitors gathered in front of the stage to collect their scores and congratulate the winners.
IMG_0012.jpg

scooter

Staff member
Some more images of the celebration after the awards ceremony.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

After this BP invited all the cooks to a private gathering at another location in the resort for drinks and appetizers then a 6 course dinner! And Andy McKee was on guitar to entertain the group.
This was the end of an incredible day for me! No other contest I've been to can touch this one. From the beautiful venue of La Quinta Resort Club, the perfect weather, the best of the best BBQ cooks, a gracious host, every detail thought out and accounted for....this contest will be discussed in BBQ circles for many years to come.

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
As if eating the best BBQ in the world wasn't enough reward for being there, all the judges received a gift bag from BP with some nice event souvenirs inside!
IMG_0033-1.jpg

IMG_0035-1.jpg

IMG_0037-1.jpg

IMG_0036-1.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0041-1.jpg

BigDummy

Now THAT is some swag. Love the Mini UDS gifts for category calls. Heck the last first place trophy I got during the last comp of the year I got a two dollar bowling trophy. No hackin on em, but I really dig the creative trophies much more.

Top Bottom