WSM vs UDS

nautique1228

Hi everyone, I've been studying a lot, reading from amazingribs.com, the webber bullet forums, and other bbq forums as well. I think have my decision down to a WSM or a big poppa kit. I have found food grade drums locally for 15$. I feel like the only draw back to the UDS is the size compared to a WSM. If I did commit to a UDS I think the mods I would make would be to add an ash pan, make a heat diffuser, and add a top rack that sits almost flush with the top of the drum and use an old lid to create the extra room I want. I've also heard that the flat lid can "drip" moisture/grease crud on the food, which the round lid would also prevent as it runs down the side. I'm just curious to see if anyone has any multi rack setups and how they've done them. Thanks guys, this is a great site with lots of info.

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum nautique. A great thing with the drum is that you can modify any way you wish. Post the location where you're getting your drum in the "drum locator" section so others in your area know where to find them. Check out the sister site @pelletsmoking.

Salmonsmoker

I know. My daughter was going to order a kit for my son-in-law. They are supposed to get 20 kits in, hopefully before Christmas. She's on the waiting list. Did you call or check online? You might give them a call and get on the list.

backbay2

Welcome to the site! My vote goes for the drum smoker and I second the BPS kit. It's on my short list for my next drum. I have a double grill flat lid smoker, but I have found so far when cooking on both grills at the same time the meat on the bottom acts as a diffuser. Might work better once I have an actual diffuser to disperse the heat prior to cooking.

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I own a 18 WSM and owned a 22. We have two BPS drum one with a flat lid and one modified for two racks and a Weber lid. I like the drums better then the 22 more options I feel in using it.

MrAdam

The drum holds temp so well that you won't need a stoker. Build two drums instead!

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

southga

I have 2 racks & flat lid on my drum. The top rack is about 2.5" below the lid. The second rack is about 3" below the top rack. I can cook butts on the bottom rack and ribs, chicken quarters, abts, etc on the top rack. I have a third rack about 2" above my charcoal basket that I can place a water pan or diffuser on. Most of the time I wrap the middle of the lowest rack with doubled foil to act as a diffuser & get even temps (+/-10*) side to middle & top to bottom.

Top Bottom