Smoking Wild Game??

backbay2

I got an Axis hind quarter, what I would assume would be equivalent to be a rump roast, only way lean..... Any suggestions on smoking this thing.... should I bacon wrap it for moisture and what kind of temps?? Anyone have wild game smoking experience??

scooter

Staff member
My friend, I've never even heard of an Axis deer! Had to google it! lol

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The chital or cheetal (Axis axis),[2] also known as chital deer, spotted deer or axis deer is a deer which commonly inhabits wooded regions of Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, and in small numbers in Pakistan. The chital goes by various names in India, among which include: Chital horin in Bengali, Thith Muwa in Sinhalese, Jinke in Kannada, Pulli Maan in Tamil and Malayalam, Duppi in Telugu, Phutuki Horin in Assamese, Haran/Harin in Marathi, and Hiran in Hindi/Urdu (the latter two derived from Harini, the Sanskrit cognate for 'deer'). It is the most common deer species in Indian forests. The name Chital comes from the Bengali word Chitral (চিত্রল)/Chitra (চিত্রা), which means "spotted". The chital is monotypic within the genus Axis, but this genus has also included three species that now are placed in Hyelaphus based on genetic evidence.[3][4]
Axis.jpg

backbay2

Surprise!

My friend, I've never even heard of an Axis deer! Had to google it! lol

Scooter, I am surprised 😉 I was banking on some of your advise for this one. Well it shouldn't shock ya to hear about a redneck from Texas wanting to smoke some wild game, but at the end of the day it is just some really lean meat and the question would be how to cook it.

cragcrawler

I got an Axis hind quarter, what I would assume would be equivalent to be a rump roast, only way lean..... Any suggestions on smoking this thing.... should I bacon wrap it for moisture and what kind of temps?? Anyone have wild game smoking experience??

As I have never eaten an Axis, I have eaten a plethora of wildgame (I love that word "Plethora" :D ). First I would Brine it. You can do a simple brine or find one a little more involved depending on flavoring. This will add moisture to the lean meat. Probably brine for 30 - 60 minutes per pound. Wrapping in bacon is always good as it adds more moisture and flavor but not always necessary. I would smoke it like any roasts you would normally smoke.

Just my opinion.

backbay2

too funny!!!

As I have never eaten an Axis, I have eaten a plethora of wildgame (I love that word "Plethora" :D ). First I would Brine it. You can do a simple brine or find one a little more involved depending on flavoring. This will add moisture to the lean meat. Probably brine for 30 - 60 minutes per pound. Wrapping in bacon is always good as it adds more moisture and flavor but not always necessary. I would smoke it like any roasts you would normally smoke.

Just my opinion.

I almost told scooter the same thing!!! With his plethora of knowledge I thought for sure he would have an answer..... But then I thought the humor would be a lost cause.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik

scooter

Staff member
I mostly only partake of the plethora of domestic critters available at my local butcher shop and fish counter!
tongue2.gif

cowgirl

I agree with Marcus.
While I've never eaten Axis, I have a plethora of white tail venison roasts in my freezer that I plan on cooking the same way. :)

Top Bottom