Pecan smoked pork chops stuffed with italian sausage & cheese

scooter

Staff member
St Louis Style Pecan smoked pork chops stuffed with italian sausage & cheese on the BPS drum, roasted veggies on the MAK, mashed taters with pork gravy and grilled garlic bread.

Saw this recipe on a BBQ DVD I own. Terry Black of Super Smokers prepared this chop.

Start with some thick center cut pork chops. About an inch thick
IMG_9852.jpg

Butterfly them to create a pocket where you'll stuff them with the sausage and cheese
IMG_9855.jpg

Put them in a vacuum tumbler with some Stubb's Pork Marinade
IMG_9856.jpg

While the chops are tumbling, put about a pound of italian sausage in a bowl. Grate 8oz of Provalone, and 4oz each of Asiago and Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses.
IMG_9848.jpg

Mix together the cheese and sausage and divide roughly into 5 parts
IMG_9851.jpg

Stuff the chops with the sausage and cheese stuffing and secure the open end with a couple toothpicks. Rub with jalapeno bacon rub
IMG_9858.jpg

Start up the drum and add come hickory pellets and a chunk of pecan. OK, that chunk of pecan wasn't as big as it looks!
IMG_9859-1.jpg

When up to approx 280 in the center, place the stuffed chops onto the drum
IMG_9862.jpg

Now start prepping the bread. Cut in half, brush with Tuscan Herb infused olive oil and dust with Desert Gold
IMG_9865.jpg

Time to flip the chops. Lookin good!!
IMG_9870.jpg

Continued below

scooter

Staff member
Time to get the veggies roasting in the MAK at 425. Sliced up Zucchini's, onions and mushrooms tossed with garlic olive oil, salt and pepper
IMG_9872.jpg

Chops are nearly done so time to pull them and give them a quick sear. Add some fresh lump charcoal to the drum basket and place the searing grate in. Chops on the sear for a couple mins each side
IMG_9877.jpg

Chops are seared and resting, now it's time for the bread. After crisping up the outer crust on the MAK, sear in the drum to toast up the insides.
IMG_9880.jpg

After searing the bread, rub with some fresh garlic
IMG_9882-1.jpg

Veggies are done!
IMG_9886.jpg

Plate the stuffed chops with the roasted veggies, mashed taters drizzled with pork gravy. It was VERY tasty! The jalapeno and maple from the rub came through and added a nice backend heat! The stuffing was very tasty. Next time I'll add more cheese so it's more drippy gooey with cheese. Really a fantastic chop. Clean bones were all that were left!
IMG_9891.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9901.jpg

Thanks for looking!

scooter

Staff member
Took about 1.5 hours at 280(ish) in the center of the drum. Next time I'll take it down to 250 in the center and warm up the sausage/cheese stuffing before stuffing the chops. Also will follow the recipe with the cheese to sausage percentage for the stuffing which was double the cheese to sausage. I did 50/50. I want more oozy gooey cheese coming out of the chops.
Loved the combination of flavors and textures. The bacon jalapeno rub was great!

Top Bottom