Fancy Ash Pan

frjeff

$0.72 Goodwill ash pan for BPS smoker. Fancy, schmancy!!

Old frypan, sawed off handle, formed wire hook handle for removal, Viola' !

Fits perfectly beneath fire basket.

I shouda been an engineer!

IMG_2000.JPG

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
The only issue I see is a non stick pan which appears what you have is made with ptfe and it does not like high temps. When it overheats it releases a gas that is not good for you . If you notice the non stick gets darker it means it is reaching that heat level.

frjeff

The only issue I see is a non stick pan which appears what you have is made with ptfe and it does not like high temps. When it overheats it releases a gas that is not good for you . If you notice the non stick gets darker it means it is reaching that heat level.

Pan is 13.5", so should catch most of the ash. Non-stick is now gone (blowtorch and wire wheel). Did that outdoors in about a 25 knot wind to carry any fumes down wind. I'll likely find a better ash catcher later, but needed something to do while the drum is at the sandblaster's.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I use a 18 inch deep dish pizza pan. About $15 new. It is the largest size I could get past the mounts in the drum. I do put in three bolts as legs to space the pan off the floor of the drum just so if there is a grease overflow the pan doesn't stick to the bottom of the drum and helps with air flow if I am cheating using a Stoker or BBQ Guru device.

frjeff

I use a 18 inch deep dish pizza pan. About $15 new. It is the largest size I could get past the mounts in the drum. I do put in three bolts as legs to space the pan off the floor of the drum just so if there is a grease overflow the pan doesn't stick to the bottom of the drum and helps with air flow if I am cheating using a Stoker or BBQ Guru device.

That's what I'm really wanting. Do you recall where you got one that diameter and for that price?

frjeff

Should I raise my ash pan off the drum bottom with a few bolt legs (air movement), or let it sit right on the drum bottom?
Have some space as the BPS charcoal basket ias up 5"+ from the bottom and the pizza pan is 2" high.

Last edited:

frjeff

I added three bolt legs to the pan bottom and she sits perfectly beneath the charcoal basket.
IMG_2013.jpg

UDS.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
I used an 18" pizza pan I got off Amazon for $5 and used about $11 in nuts & bolts to attach it to the charcoal basket so when I pull the basket out, the ash comes with it. Used wing nuts on the bottom for quick disconnect. I have the same setup on my black drum but bought a 16" pan from Walmart for $4

IMG_9592.jpg

IMG_9595.jpg

IMG_9593.jpg

Last edited:

frjeff

I added three bolt legs to the pan bottom and she sits perfectly beneath the charcoal basket.
IMG_2013.jpg

UDS.jpg

Actually, the stash is to be used as water fulled heat sinks inside a greenhouse I hope to build next Spring (unless they get used up for more UDS projects) :D

Nafle

Well ordered myself 5 pizza pans today in two different dimentions. :) thought one size for ashtray and one as heatdeflector (test different ways :) ) hope to get them tomorrow..

www.naflebbq.blogspot.no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom