Smoked rib roast on a drum and BP's smoked jalapeno scalloped taters in a MAK, oh my!

scooter

Staff member
Smoked rib roast on a drum and BP's smoked jalapeno scalloped taters in a MAK, oh my!

Start with a 7# 3 bone rib roast, season it with garlic olive oil, jalapeno season salt and DSSR. Should make a great tasting crust off a drum cooker with its semi-direct cooking style.
IMG_9795.jpg

Throw in some hickory pellets and a chunk of red oak
IMG_9838-1.jpg

Time to get the roast going in the drum so I can get the jalapeno taters put together and into the MAK.
IMG_9797.jpg

Jalapeno taters together and into the MAK at 375
IMG_9806.jpg

Rib roast hit 140IT and is done. That's the drum crust I was looking for.
IMG_9811.jpg

Jalapeno scalloped taters are also nicely done.
IMG_9815.jpg

Nice and brown and cheesy. Pretty! That brown crusty cheese on top and along the edges was amazing.
IMG_9817.jpg

The roast is done resting. The push carried the IT from 140 to 148. Beautiful carmelization of the crust.
IMG_9825.jpg

Sliced.
IMG_9830.jpg

Plated! The meat was smokey, juicy and tender.

IMG_9834.jpg

scooter

Staff member
3 hours on the upper rack at 375 and used russets. 1.5 hrs covered. 1.5 hours uncovered. Next time I may go 2hrs and 1 hr to preserve more of the cream. The flavor was great but the cream was mostly evaporated.
I'll also pull the roast 5 degrees sooner. I always pull out of a pellet cooker at 140 and end up with medium pinkness and in the drum it produced med/well pinkness. But the flavor was off the scale good and the crust was exactly the way it should look! The drum wins again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving

scooter

Staff member
Could also have been that all the prior rib roasts I used a Maverick to measure internal temps and this one I used a Stoker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving

sheepdad

My God that looks AWESOME. That's one great cook scooter. Can't wait to show my coworkers what a drum can do to a standing rib roast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Big Poppa

Administrator
I love my MAKs dont get me wrong but the drum is fun and cooks so well....Im cooking the taters again but only giving myself 1.5.hours at 400 lets see how they do...I dont think that the difference is the stoker/maverick

scooter

Staff member
Probably is the semi direct nature of a drum. A small adjustment will be made when I cook the family rib roast for Christmas dinner. I want it to be medium to suit most of my families doneness preferences. Also will have to, unfortunately, lighten up on the jalapeno season salt cause I have some lightweights in my family who can't take even a small amount of spiciness. Probably replace it with LLw/pepper.
That jalapeno season salt has become my default base spice! :)

SS, not a single round! lol

MrAdam

Go figure, you can spend less than $200 on a cooker that outperforms one worth ten times as much! :D

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom