Boston Butt Help!!!

backbay2

Gonna smoke a Boston Butt in the morning, and once again I am new at this so any help would be appreciated. Cooking times, temperature, wrap or unwrap..... meat temp....... well you get the point...I have read all this over and over but some one on one practical advice would be nice .....oh yeah its an 8lb er

smoker037.jpg

meat man

I did one the other day. Tried to have my temp gauge at 250, which meant I was 275+ in the middle of the drum. I was around 7 hrs total cook time. Foiled at 160, pulled it at 200. Rested for about 1.5 hrs. It was delicious.

sheepdad

I usually figure about 1 1/2 hrs per pound at 275°. If i have plenty of time, i won't foil to beat the stall which usually happens between 150° and 160°. I just wait it out till 190° or so and check with my thermapen to see if it goes in like butter. Sometimes it does and sometimes i have to take it to 200°-205° before it probes effortlessly. If you want to foil it, do it at 150 or so and leave it till around 170° and then take it out of the foil till done. Foiling will definitely cut doen your cook time though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

backbay2

Here we go on the cook so far......
Been holding temps for an hour at this point.....
Porkbutt001.jpg

Top of drum temp....
Porkbutt002.jpg

a light hickory smoke.......
Porkbutt003.jpg

and a perfect view
Porkbutt004.jpg

backbay2

Showing 180 degrees unwrapped for 5 hours worth of smoking? Bark looks realy good when I flipped it but I did not expect it to be at this temp yet..... Temp shows.. 230 lower 245 upper and 250 at the lid......

backbay2

Question??? I am goin to try to run this cook without foiling... But.. when I rest this meat do I foil or tent??

MrAdam

Question??? I am goin to try to run this cook without foiling... But.. when I rest this meat do I foil or tent??

Yes to rest you should do FTC. That stands for foil towel cooler. Wrap it tightly in a double layer of foil and put it on a towel in a cooler that has been warned up with hot water.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
Before FTC you should vent off some of the heat energy of the pork unless it's your intent to continue the cooking process during your FTC'ing.
You should expect a 5-10 degree push if you go right for the pit to FTC. You can reduce, or eliminate, much of the push if you allow some of the heat energy of the butt to vent off before you FTC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving

backbay2

Thanks GOOGLE!!

Before FTC you should vent off some of the heat energy of the pork unless it's your intent to continue the cooking process during your FTC'ing.

Thanks Scooter and MR. Adams, had to look up it up though, you know being a newbie and all :)
Then I found the post above all ready interpreted for me........:p

FTC = Foil, Towel, Cooler - A method to maintain heat and allow internal fats etc to continue to break down after the meat is removed from the smoker. A good way to ensure your food is ready at appointed meal time and still fresh for guests. Once your meat is at or near desired internal temperture, remove it from the smoker wrap in FOIL and TOWEL. Place the package in a prewarmed COOLER (or warmed oven that has been turned off but that would be FTO)

Thanks GOOGLE

MrAdam

Thanks Scooter and MR. Adams, had to look up it up though, you know being a newbie and all :)
Then I found the post above all ready interpreted for me........:p

FTC = Foil, Towel, Cooler - A method to maintain heat and allow internal fats etc to continue to break down after the meat is removed from the smoker. A good way to ensure your food is ready at appointed meal time and still fresh for guests. Once your meat is at or near desired internal temperture, remove it from the smoker wrap in FOIL and TOWEL. Place the package in a prewarmed COOLER (or warmed oven that has been turned off but that would be FTO)

Thanks GOOGLE

I know that it doesn't make total sense, but planning to have your big hunks of meat ready a couple of hours before mealtime actually turns out better results. FTC also helps further tenderize the meat.

You'll also never have hungry guests waiting for the meat to finish.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

backbay2

The butt came out awesome.... I thought the poking it and it feeling like butter was just a figure of speech.. I let it rest for 1 and half hours and this has been the best cook by far on my drum... THanks again guys for all the help... I will post final pics when this internet starts working better

Top Bottom