Reverse sear.

Nafle

Since I'm all new to much of these BBQ expressions (and BBQ at all) i just couldn't understand what you guys meant when you where "reverse searing" I have tried to read some on the topic, but not sure if I got it right.

Please can someone explain it?

Big Poppa

Administrator
cook a steak chop or roast at 275 or lower...when it hits 110 flip it over when it hits 125 then pull and raise your temp (keeping the drum uncovered) you can raise the fire bastket and sear each side to your particular doneness...studies show that the meat retains the most juice this way.

ajstrider

I use the reverse sear method like BP discussed, and I love it. You are bringing the whole steak up in temperature more evenly, without overcharring the outside. Then when it is close to being done, you put it on high heat to get just a little charring and such on the outside and finishing the cook.

scooter

Staff member
Nafle, the point of reverse sear is to cook the interior meat differently than the exterior meat.
When you cook a thick steak on a grill over high heat by the time you have the center cooked to the right temp, the meat near the surface is welldone.
With reverse sear you cook the interior meat low and slow getting a nice even pink from edge to edge or as BP says, bumper to bumper. Once you get the interior meat cooked to your liking using a low heat indirect style, then you put the steak over rocket hot coals for about 2 mins per side to quickly carmelize the exterior meat without impacting the interior meat.
The interior meat gets low and slow, the exterior meat gets hot and fast. You're searing the steak last hence the term reverse sear.

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
I've found the technique works best on steaks thicker than 1.5 inches. Steaks under an inch thick should just get a standard grilling over direct heat, IMO.

Nafle

I'm going to test this gaucho beef from Argentina.
IMG_0320_zps46cf4af3.jpg

Aiming for 150 medium-well.

IMG_0596_zps1edd551b.png

had a steady temperature all the way.
Setup the Igrill for monitoring.. One probe in the meat and noe in the middle of Big D.

I'll flipp the meat on half way.

www.naflebbq.blogspot.no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353771943.882624.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353771943.882624.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 281
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353772054.060801.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353772054.060801.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

Nafle

IMG_0363_zps3bdbad5e.jpg

The result. My wife said this was the most tender steak she had tasted. But need more practice :)

www.naflebbq.blogspot.no

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353784568.175127.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353784568.175127.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

MrAdam

You may want to try only taking the steak to medium rare next time. This has been scientifically proven to give the most tender and juicy steak. There's a very good reason why they call it chef temperature.

Medium rare is about 135f.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Nafle

You may want to try only taking the steak to medium rare next time. This has been scientifically proven to give the most tender and juicy steak. There's a very good reason why they call it chef temperature.

Medium rare is about 135f.

I'll try that next time :) but i got to test the igrill thermometer. And the drum was werry stabile. And the teknique reverse sears.

www.naflebbq.blogspot.no

scooter

Staff member
Nafle, I noticed you had your iGrill alarm set for 150F for the meat. Is Med/Well the doneness you and your wife like?

Nafle

Yes, that was the order of the day. As soon as there are slight pink meat my wife puts it back in the pan :) but next time I'll make it a slight pit pink . And yes it was tender :)

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
Got it! So glad to hear it worked well for you. Or should I say worked medium/well for you! Sorry! lol. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving

MrAdam

I know what you're dealing with. When I met my wife all her steaks had to be well done.

It took me a few years to get her to eat medium rare, but she won't eat it any other way now.

Part of the problem is that she was taught to believe that the red liquid in a steak is blood, and that any pink means undercooked meat.

Both of those beliefs are incorrect.

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
Part of the problem is that she was taught to believe that the red liquid in a steak is blood, and that any pink means undercooked meat.

Both of those beliefs are incorrect.

Yep!

Blood turns black when cooked. They bleed the animal at the packing plant so there's no blood in the meat muscles. The red/pink liquid in the meat is a protein liquid called myoglobin. It's related to blood but isn't blood.
When you cook ribs, black ooze comes out of the ends of the bones...that's blood.

Last edited:

MrAdam

It's related to blood in that it carries oxygen from the blood stream to the muscles and it's very rich in iron (giving it the red colour).

Top Bottom