any turkeys?

Salmonsmoker

Yup. Did one turkey in the drum and another one in the Weber gasser w/amazen pellet smoker, both stuffed, both@ 275F. They were both excellent, but the drum turkey took the checked flag. Wife and I were so busy all day cooking I didn't even get a chance to snap one picture. So...I guess it never happened.:(

scooter

Staff member
SS, can you supply a little data on the stuffed turkeys? What was the IT of the breasts when the center of the stuffing was 165? This subject has been on my mind this week.+

sheepdad

I did a small 6# breast for sandwiches only. No pics either but the Desert Gold was great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sheepdad

Attachments

• bps_gold_5.jpg
    bps_gold_5.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 305

Salmonsmoker

:)
SS, can you supply a little data on the stuffed turkeys? What was the IT of the breasts when the center of the stuffing was 165? This subject has been on my mind this week.+

I knew you were going to ask scooter, I've been following the discussion all week.:):)

I had 2 turkeys. The Weber gasser w/amazen smoker got the 21# and the drum got the 14#, both w/some apple pellets.
I did my time calcs figuring 30 min./lb @ 275F which was 10.5 hrs.( this way overshot the cooking time needed) I was thinking that I needed to shorten the cooking time on the big turkey, so I soaked the whole turkey in luke warm water for 15 min. while we made the stuffing.(this actually shortens the time in the danger zone as apposed to the same rise in temp it would take in the cooker.) The probe temp was 57F when it went in the cooker. It would have taken an hour to get the same rise(20 degrees) in an oven.
We also make the stuffing on the stove right before we stuff the bird. We saute the onions,celery, cranberries, apples, herbs etc. in butter then the bread cubes get added and all is moistened w/chicken stock at near boiling temps. Then it goes right into the bird. The dressing is probably around 120F so it's also aiding in warming up the inside of the bird.
After the first two hrs. it was obvious that cook was too fast and I had to start lowering the cook temps. The weber ended up @ 245F and the drum @ 200F to the finish. The probe temps. between the two birds were within 1 degree for the whole cook. The lowest temp. the stuffing got was 80F by the time the turkey temp. caught up. From that point on occasional probes of the stuffing matched the breast temp. Both birds were pulled @ 162F and rested for 20 min. Final temp of 167F breast and stuffing.
Some points;
We have never used cold stuffing and I'm sure that's a plus where food borne illness is concerned.
Did lower cooking temps allow the stuffing to keep up with the breast? Next turkey will be @ 275F start to finish to find out.
These were the most moist and best tasting turkeys yet, and we've been cooking turkeys for 40 yrs. Not a single illness either.
If it ain't broke.......

scooter

Staff member
That's a great report SS!! Thank you. Nice job on figuring out how to bridge the gap and make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving

sheepdad

Perfect. Thanks for the details SS. I always wondered about how to pull off the stuffed bird on the smoker safely enough to put my mind at ease and eat it without any doubt. This just might be my ticket. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom