Thanksgiving Baby Back Ribs

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
We are going to my nephews home for Thanksgiving. He is a big rib fan , so we bring them along with a cake Patty has made.
Six racks today seasoned with the rubs in the photo and onto the drum set for 200- 225º.

DSC02395-L.jpg

DSC02399-L.jpg

DSC02397-L.jpg

IMG_1981-L.jpg

Started the Drum again this morning and wanted to check the temps without any pellet dust in the deflector. You can see there is no hot spot in the center.

IMG_1982-L.jpg

I am ordering another one of these lodge plates for my other drum I am getting.

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
The MAK rib rack fits nicely in a BPS drum and would hold all those at once. I'm very interested to hear how well those upper ribs cook with the lower ribs being between them and the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving

scooter

Staff member
Also, looks like a great combo of rubs! Love it that you through a nod to Johnny in there.

sheepdad

I'm very interested to hear how well those upper ribs cook with the lower ribs being between them and the fire.

Yea me too. I'm thinking that another drum is in order. A multi-level rib cooking monster of sorts.

They look great all rubbed up, can't wait to see the after shots.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Scooter the racks on the lower rack do cook quicker or should I say the top rack cooks slower because the ribs on the lower rack works as a heat shield. I did try cooking some ribs today on the lower rack at 275. Charred the underside a little . A rib rack would have worked nice it this situation. I haven't really mastered Baby Backs. Do better with the St Louis cut. Have not mastered those either but get a better product. Temps are steady so I can't blame the cooker. Really happy with the deflector and lodge insert,the center of the cooker is no longer the hot spot. The only area that was hotter was normally about 10º and it depends on which way the coals burn.

IMG_1985-L.jpg

You can see they are a little dark and over done as seen with the big chunk wanting to slide of the rack in this photo

IMG_1988-L.jpg

This photo show that the rib is over cooked by the separation from the bone and that fact slicing the ribs it wants to tear.

IMG_1987-L.jpg

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
What you have to do with this cook is flip flop the racks like they do with fec's and backwoods.
I considered it and decided not to as the grate temps seemed to even out and got lazy. I forgot to take into consideration the sizzle effect the lower ribs would get. I logged it all to help with the learning process . Failures are a part of the path to success. I am liking the Drum and what it brings to the cooking arsenal. Tonight I am cooking some veggies on the MAK. Love having all these tools

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I always appreciate input from all the cooks on the site, it how i can learn more.They were fine to eat. Was actually a good thing I didn't rotate the racks. Learned what happens when you don't. The baby backs are a little less forgiving then STL ribs. Which could be good for learning on the drum. I do like the difference in flavor versus a indirect cook. Using the lodge deflector I may have an idea to simplify it.

Top Bottom