Even yet another deflector?

Nafle

This is what a friend of mine have came up with. You sure can drill some holes in the middle to let some go through. this shield was made from another drum.

18_zps733675bb.jpg
[/IMG]

MrAdam

Looks like that will turn the whole drum into a nice indirect cooker! Nice work.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
At the risk of splitting hairs, I think it's more of a heat shield than a deflector and changes the game to where the drum cooks more like a WSM?

MrAdam

At the risk of splitting hairs, I think it's more of a heat shield than a deflector and changes the game to where the drum cooks more like a WSM?

Doesn't any sort of water pan or heat deflector turn the drum in to a WSM? Can you turn a WSM in to a drum by removing the water pan?

Nafle

Doesn't any sort of water pan or heat deflector turn the drum in to a WSM? Can you turn a WSM in to a drum by removing the water pan?

Well The guy who made this wanted The opertunity to cook like an WSM. On this heat deflector he may use a waterpan. He has made this in Brasil where The WSM was hard to reatch. But yes cook like a WSM :)

www.naflebbq.blogspot.no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter

Staff member

Technically, IMO, no and here's where the hairsplitting I mentioned comes in and this is just my opinion.

A heat deflector in a drum would allow the heat to be somewhat dispersed evenly above at the top grate without completely interferring with the semi-direct cooking properties of a drum. What I mean is, the heat source is still directly below the meat although at a distance and partly shielded from the meat by the deflector but you still have meat juices dripping on hot coals.

A heat shield in a drum (or WSM) blocks all direct heating properties forcing the heat around the outside edges like in a WSM. Meat juices don't ever hit the coals and the carmelization that happens with a drum doesn't occur.

We can get into what constitutes the difference between BBQ and Grilling but that would take a whole thread dedicated to it! lol

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Just think that with a baffle like that it does make it like a indirect cooker. I have 20 quart stainless bowl with a 16 and a 9 inside and it makes the drum cook just like a WSM without all the air leaks. The baffle or bowl needs to be above the coals at least one inch, two is better .
The deflector small in size 8 inches or less can't get rid of the heat like a 22 inch disc etc and temps on the disc with a drum running at 200 can be between 350 to 450. It just shows how versatile a cooker it can be. I use the indirect at times when I am cooking a bunch of ribs with two grill racks installed and I sort want to set it and forget it. Tomorrow for Thanksgiving we are cooking a bunch of baby back ribs and will have both grill racks in and will be direct Drum style with a small deflector installed. The flavor is a little better we think.

Top Bottom