55 Gal. Drums Found

frjeff

Well, we may have the drum dilema licked.

Found three drums, open top, no lining @ $5.00 each. Going to check them out in the morning. Presumably, they were used to carry silicone.

That ought burn out fairly clean and easily, correct?

Hope they'll work!

Jeff

MrAdam

Again, I'd be very wary about using a drum that has been used to haul any chemical. Burning the drum out wouldn't be good enough for me and I would not want to cook any food that I'd serve my family. Their health is more important than my wallet.

Metal is porous and just because the residue is gone, you don't know what has seeped in to the metal and what a burn out can't get to, and might leech out during a cook.

I might be overly cautious though, so I'd like some other members to donate their $0.02.

Ultimately it's up to you what drum you use, all I can do is suggest against a used chemical drum.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

backbay2

Just a little more money

Ok, so maybe not just a little extra money but, a true bake out (not talking burn out) would probably get that thing clean but very few of us have the resources to do that, so for a little extra money at least you will know your family is safe...... just my .02

but silicon can't be that bad right? I would not consider it a hazardous chemical, but then again I wouldn't have the slightest clue what is in it.................and that is my worthless .02 :)

Last edited:

MrAdam

but silicon can't be that bad right? I would not consider it a hazardous chemical, but then again I wouldn't have the slightest clue what is in it.................and that is my worthless .02 :)

Would you eat it?

scooter

Staff member
Do a google search on "silicone cookware" and you will see that silicone is widely used for pans and baking sheets where our food is in direct contact with the silicone surface. In your drum the food doesn't even come in contact with it. Don't give up on it yet, just do some research.

sheepdad

Silicone is not poisonous and is considered a harmless compound. The concern lies in what the drum is lined with. Even unlined drums have a rust inhibitor sprayed on it. In that case i would think a burn out would be sufficient. If it was my drum, i would sand blast no matter what unless i knew for a fact that it was virgin stainless steel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

frjeff

there is no reason to take any chances...sandblast it....just better safe than sorry!

Well, the drum quest begins again, I guess.

I can get a reconditioned, open top, unlined drum with lid for $30.00.

Unfortunately, I need to drive 425 miles R/T to get it home.
Or, another supplier will ship the same drum via UPS or FedEx for a flat $100.00. I may chose this because at 20MPG in my truck and the time involved, I'm ahead having it shipped.

More (by far) than I thought I'd have to pay to get this UDS built, but safety first is the word.

But, no luck elsewhere finding an open drum without the liner or previous chemicals therein.

frjeff

Is there no drum supplier in Saginaw or Mackinac?

Not that I've been able to find. Nor in Flint. Used to be three or four large operations, but since the auto industry tanked and consolidated, not so much.

scooter

Staff member
Are you giving up on the silicone drums? $50 to sandblast it would make it a usable drum for your smoker. Hate to see you spend more than necessary.

bakeware made out of silicone
QWpel7Ltw3TmVNdjTyXIyOMaOdIG_Ji95RvPzV-cSJKR6Kclqi.jpg
QhiuIZn5oyaBwDNNy-Xfal32OTBZUsAuynPuvvhRM1GjUhOxTx.jpg
QrbL0jmm1ffo-BcYY24Le0bXUcg3oHh1HEuWW1mblIMFN3FRUu.jpg
GaA3cfMkelvrQrS7_k4mCifJuOr-_7iV-yk5umn9GTQYyQcISQ.jpg

MrAdam

If Big Poppa and Scooter think it's safe with a sandblasting, then it should be safe. When you said silicone I was thinking caulk, which has other stuff in it than just silicone. (Curing agents)

frjeff

If Big Poppa and Scooter think it's safe with a sandblasting, then it should be safe. When you said silicone I was thinking caulk, which has other stuff in it than just silicone. (Curing agents)

Nope, just silicone.
I'm going to pick up three of these on Monday and begin to see how one cleans up. I'll save the other two for some other project.
Found someone to sandblast, $20 -$25, so we may be on our way here after the holiday. I'll keep ya posted.

Top Bottom