Chuck Steak and Tenderloins

cragcrawler

Tonight I cooked up some steaks on the drum. I wanted to get it hot enough for direct heat but it didn't get higher than 300 near the surface. That's with 2 chimneys full of lump charcoal.

Any thoughts?

MrAdam

Keep the lid off to give the fire as much oxygen as possible. Try getting your grates as close to the charcoal as possible. If you're using the BPS kit just use the high basket hooks.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

cragcrawler

Copy That!

I don't have the BPS kit but how close does the high basket hook get the charcoal to the grates?

The steaks turned out good regardless. Just didn't get the sear I wanted and took a little longer but they were Delicious!

MrAdam

Depending on if you use custom measurements or what big poppa recommends, recommended is about 3" between the to of the basket and the grate. When I'm starting a steak I usually take one of the grates off my gas grill and put it right on top of the charcoal, so like 3/8" between lit charcoal and meat. That is for a super sear and nice crunchy crust. Check out big poppa's reverse sear methods as well.

sheepdad

Depending on if you use custom measurements or what big poppa recommends, recommended is about 3" between the to of the basket and the grate. When I'm starting a steak I usually take one of the grates off my gas grill and put it right on top of the charcoal, so like 3/8" between lit charcoal and meat. That is for a super sear and nice crunchy crust. Check out big poppa's reverse sear methods as well.

Yep.. An 18'' grate right on top of the basket would do it good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom