Stuffed Shrimp and Tritip on a drum

scooter

Staff member
Pickled Jalapeno Cream cheese stuffed shrimp with a bacon wrap and glazed with sweet chili sauce and a tritip cooked on a very versatile BPS Engineered Drum Smoker.

This appetizer won the "5 ingredient One Bite" category for Melissa Cookston on her way to winning Grand Champion at the 1st annual 2012 Kingsford Invitational. Five ingredients: Pickled jalapeno, cream cheese, shrimp, bacon, sweet chili sauce.
Chopped up the jalapenos and mixed in with the cream cheese then stuffed the shrimp.
IMG_9718.jpg

My favorite bacon, Nueske's (pronounced "new skees") from Wisconsin.
IMG_9719.jpg

Wrapped the shrimp
IMG_9720.jpg

IMG_9722.jpg

Added some hickory pellets to the drum
IMG_9723.jpg

Time to throw the shrimp on the barbi
IMG_9726.jpg

Started with the coal basket in the low position then decided to raise it to the top so the bacon would cook faster so the shrimp wouldn't be overcooked. Flipped them at do the other side. The burned one to the left was in the middle.
IMG_9727.jpg

Off the drum then glazed with sweet chili sauce. They were so good! Multiple textures and flavors all coming together in one sweet heat bite. It's no wonder Melissa won with these shrimp!
IMG_9735.jpg

Continued next post

scooter

Staff member
Now on to the tritip! Also cooked on the drum

Vacuum tumbled the tritip with Kinders Original Beef marinade.
IMG_9741.jpg

Wiped off the marinade, rubbed it with garlic olive oil, BPS Jalapeno Seasoned Salt and DSSR.
IMG_9743.jpg

On to the drum and flipped over halfway through and brushed with steak butter
IMG_9744.jpg

Finished and resting. Followed BP's advice on this tritip and didn't finish with a sear as I usually do.
IMG_9750.jpg

Cooked this one to medium
IMG_9757.jpg

Plated with baked tater and salad!

IMG_9758.jpg

scooter

Staff member
Hard to say yet. I need to do it again. the taste was there but it wasn't carmelized on the exterior the way I like it to be. In my sear process, it carmelizes and sets the steak butter. I applied the butter too late with this attempt so while it was good and buttery on the exterior, it just lacked the crispyness and the texture from the ingredients I add to the butter when they are applied to the scorching heat for those couple minutes. It's hard to explain. Need to give it another try but I can see myself not needing the sear at the end anymore once I get it figured out!

Greatscott!

Looks beautiful! Is steak butter a product I haven't heard of or a compound butter, like bleu cheese & garlic or etc?

scooter

Staff member
lol, yes. You'll love them Jim. They were 15-20s or something like that. I cut the shrimp from the front to the back with a knife almost through but not completely through making a trench to fill with the cheese. Wrap with thin cut bacon and secure with a toothpick.
Raise the basket to the top and make a circle with the shrimp on the grate outside the live charcoal zone. Don't put one in the middle over the fire like I did unless you like em crispy crittered.
It shouldn't take too long. Like around 10-15 mins flipping them about halfway or when the bacon was brown and some of the edges were slightly burned. Stay close by as they'll get away from you if you're not watching. You just want to cook the bacon and not overcook the shrimp.
Experiment. Maybe hit them with jalapeno season salt? No reason you have to stick with the 5 ingredient thing Melissa had to stick to for the contest.

Last edited:

Nafle

Looks yummy, and yes it looks like the shrimp in the middle got the same beating as my eggs :) this is on my to do list :)

Top Bottom