Yet another deflector idea

Big Poppa

Administrator
In searching around i found this cast iron plate on amazon from Lodge...pretty cool
IMG_0541-3.jpg

scooter

Staff member
What did Lodge intend those for? Never seen one of those before. Any data on how well it defused the heat?

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I like that it is a lodge piece off the shelf item. I have one and now will have to try it too. I have something similar I have been working on. (Will post some photos tomorrow) but not off the shelf stuff.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Deflector in testing

Idea here is the hot spot needs at least a 6 inch round I have found that 8 inch evens it out a lot.the one in the photo is just shy of 7, the bigger the plate and you also reduce the drum effect also. The gusset in the middle is to lift off the deflector if you are going to raise the nest to do a sear on the upper location.
DSC02380-L.jpg

I have not cooked with the lodge plate but want to check the temps and give it a try

DSC02381-L.jpg

DSC02382-L.jpg

DSC02383-L.jpg

DSC02379-L.jpg

DSC02386-L.jpg

DSC02372-L.jpg

this set up has real even temps
DSC02388-L.jpg

This is how it is currently running you did need to light the pellet dust to start it through the hole in the center . So far it burns real slow, which was what i want. I will let it run for at least four hours and see how it did.
DSC02387-L.jpg

MrAdam

Are you engineering something that will eventually be for sale? Looks pretty good.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Deflector

Just trying to find something that is fairly universal for they way folks cook. I think if something is found that would fit that . Maybe Big Poppa would consider if it was worth having them made. I have tried to stick with off the shelf sizes so far. The compromise is to use the smallest size disc so the juices still drip on the coals and the ones that drip on the disc should sizzle also because of the disc being smaller . The idea of the pellet dust for extra smoke on the deflector really didn't work well at low temps. More testing to come.

MrAdam

I'm thinking that the deflector plate would have to get super hot to start the pellets smouldering.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I was thinking the other day while cooking some chicken thighs on the drum. I made sure all the thighs were above the baskets so all the drippings would go into the charcoal basket and sizzle. What If?

20 quart stainless mixing bowl

DSC02417-L.jpg

The black mark is the size of the charcoal basket. Cut the bowl a little smaller so all juices hit the fire. There are 3 bolts that stick in the side to use when loading in the drum on the nest bolts.

DSC02418-L.jpg

DSC02420-L.jpg

DSC02419-L.jpg

New mod deflector idea. The straps are connected with the 1/4 bolt and then you can use any size of round disc depending on what works best for you. This is a 4 inch round. I have used 6 and 8 inch rounds. With the 4 in runs a little warm in the center. I always try and use the smallest possible. I would not use a 4 without the lodge insert.

DSC02421-L.jpg

Here is the 4 with the lodge insert. I have the lodge insert spaced up a little. Still need to try it touching and see the difference

DSC02423-L.jpg

DSC02424-L.jpg

DSC02425-L.jpg

The 20 quart mod mixing bowl sits on the upper nest mounts it is above the charcoal basket and does not touch it. Hopefully when we cook on it all the juices can run into the fire and we can cook more thighs at the same time.

The change in the deflector is so anyone can make it with basic tools and fasteners with metal that is available precut

MrAdam

Wow Jim, you really are innovative! You aren't an engineer by trade, are you?

I'm wondering if using that bowl would have a parabolic reflector property to it increasing your heat.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Far from a engineer. Maybe a field engineer. What I don't know doesn't get in my way. I imagine the bowl would have some effect , just don't know what. Testing should show. Tomorrow I will try the 6 inch with the lodge. I like what the lodge does for evening temps.

BP that deflector with the lodge has had the most even temps so far. Going away for now from a welded one to this one bolt idea that should clean and store easily and be able to change deflector size to fine tune cooks.

scooter

Staff member
You cut that freehand?? Man you are steady handed Jim!
So you're design is to funnel all the juices into the fire? Does it also even out the temps across the top cooking grate?

DSC02418-L.jpg

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Further Deflector testing

Scooter funnel the juices to the fire was the idea. On what it does to temps it does help even out the temps when the fire burns to one side. Which they never do:rolleyes:
The other bonus it it keeps the drum cleaner as no juices go outside the drip ash pan on the bottom.

This morning ran the deflector with the 6 inch round and lodge insert and temps were even with or without the bowl insert. Plus or minus 10 which maybe as accurate as the thermometers are. Which echo the first deflector with the lodge insert . The 6 by itself has hotspots still and a 8 by itself works but I think covers to much of the coals.

Will bring yours and BP's to KOS

Top Bottom